Can see but not ping...

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Gaz 45, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Saw some odd behaviour from a PC at work yesterday...
    I was trying to install some software onto it remotely using psexec but it wouldn't install... So I tried pinging it & got no response...
    However I then tried to access the c$ share on that machine & it was fine, could also access the computer management & registry of the remote computer without a problem.

All the time I was doing this the ping kept timing out... :blink

Anyone seen this behaviour before?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

weird, it wasnt a firewall setting that was not responding to pings was it? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I see this a lot at work. Our security folks tend to block ICMP on the routers/firewalls to some networks as a matter of course. Can be very difficult to diagnose network trouble when they do that!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Gaz 45,

Does the destination computer have some sort of firewall software on it? If so, then the software may be dropping the ICMP packets and specifically not replying to the ICMP requests as you expected ping to receive.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Fair enough. Could have been a random setting on that machine - it was at a remote site but part of our domain. Other machines at the site pinged correctly (I think...).

pathping & tracert didn't work either (but then they are ICMP too)- in fact the paths timed out straight after my computer!?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Gaz 45,

Sounds like an access list blocking ping on the first router after your computer. This may be because the "innocent" ping may be used for Distributed Denial of Service attacks on a target computer. Sounds like a properly configured firewall to not only protect internet traffic TO the corporate network, but also FROM the corporate network TO the internet. This is done to reduce liability that your corporate network is responsible for DDOS attack infected computers. I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

check the windows firewall and make sure that its not blocking ICMP requests, sometimes even though the windows firewall is turned off it can still block the ICMP requests. Anyways just make sure if you havent done that yet.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you can ping other computers on your subnet, but not computers on other subnets its an access list issue on the routers. That's how I would start troubleshooting this issue.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1