Can I use VMWare or Virtual PC for this...?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by RickUK, Jun 17, 2008.

1. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hello

I would like to practise installing WinXP using either of the above programs, both of which I have downloaded for free (I have VMWare Player).

Could somebody kindly tell me how to do it? I am studying for 70-271 and I have the MS Press book.

Regards
    Rick

WIP: 70-271
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't think you will get very far with VMWare player, as it's only (as far as I remember) able to play (run) virtual machines that have already been created by other VMWare products. VMWare Server is free to download though.

VirtualPC will fit the bill nicely, it's probably the simplest to use of the different virtualisation programs I have come across. As ever, google is your friend. I found this guide to using Virtual PC a few links down after doing a simple search ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LZwXCQ71to&feature=related

In that guide they use VirtualPC to install Ubuntu, but essentially it would be the same if you were installing XP, just have an XP disc in your drive instead of Ubunutu.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use virtual PC but I don't think using Vmware (not vmware player) will be any different if you want to use that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Super. Thanks very much. I don't know if you saw that video but the narrator's got a fantastically nerdy voice!

I notice that you have the ECDL - amongst many other qualifications. I don't have any IT qualifications (although a couple of years of helpdesk experience) at the moment; would it be worth my while taking it?

Regards
    Rick

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yeah I've seen that vid, he sounds like a right dork :p

ECDL will be ok for admin type jobs but not for technical stuff.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The VMWare server (also free) would suit you better than the VMWare player (and also Virtual PC).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

OK - I'll skip the ECDL.

Thanks

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Don't be too quick to dismiss it. If you don't have any experience with the basic office stye packages then it's worthwhile for anyone to have no matter what job they hope to get or are in.

One of the most useful programs I have come across especially when creating scripts is Excel. It's got some brilliant text handling formulas and is very useful for that kind of thing. I had to create a series of scripts to migrate 1400 shares from one fileserver to a new one last summer. Excel (and knowing how to use it) helped me a great deal.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I sat the ECDL because it promised to force me into a structured overview of the various Office apps.

While it hasn't made any difference to my employer I'm glad I did it!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

VirtualBox is another program that's free to download. I've been using it alongside VMware.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  11. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

OK. Thanks for that. But I have worked with Excel a fair bit. I used it a lot for the first five years of my career.
    R

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

No worries, I wasn't trying to single out Excel specifically, I was just making a point that the ECDL can be worthwhile for people who haven't used an office suite much, techy or not ...