Can i route my cable modem through my router

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zr79, Oct 4, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

This is a router only no switch ports, so just 1 x WAN port both in ethernet and USB and then a RJ11 port and a couple of VOIP RJ11s..

I think i need to setup a static route in the router which the router lets me do but not sure about the settings i need.

The cable modem has an IP and i think it has a DHCP server as well, nevertheless i want to use the routers DHCP just for testing few things.

So the routers IP is 192.168.1.1 and them modems IP is 192.168.100.1. In network properties i only see my WAN IP and WAN Deafult gateway IP though, not the modems IP, not 100% sure how cable modems work, i notice when you connect them they assign you a LAN IP(192..) for about 1 sec then your WAN IP comes up.

My default gateway with the cable modem only is 62.31.xx.xxx and my WAN Ip is 62.xx.xx.xxx.

So if i setup an static router is the dfeault gateway in the rioute , 192.168.100.1 or 62.xx.xxx.xxx
    Same for DNS server..?

Certifications: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't see why you couldn't. To the cable modem, it's just a directly connected device.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Aren't cable modem a bit more complex than ADSL modems though, they have an IP, DOCSIS, etc...?

I am treating my cale modem as a router i think, seing as it has it's own dhcp server inbuilt.

Certifications: A+
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I've got my VM modem plugged into a linksys wireless router. Works fine.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, but you're not running your cable line through your router to your cable modem... you're connecting your cable line to your cable router, then connecting your router to your cable modem, then connecting everything else to your router. Your cable modem isn't going to use DOCSIS to communicate with your router... it's gonna use straight IP, just like a directly attached PC would.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What make and model are the cable modem and your router?

What is the subnet mask on the LAN (192.168.x.x)?

Why do you want to change which device offers DHCP?

DNS depends on a few things, but typically it is the address of your ISP's DNS servers. though I use OpenDNS.

If the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, (usual default) then you can assign your router a static IP of 192.168.0.101 ie something which is 'not' going to be leased out on a home network, and make it an exclusion, in the DHCP server settings in your modem, if you can.

If you set it up like this, your router isn't really routing anything as all hosts will be on the same network ID. It will be acting like a switch.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)