Can I pass A+ with no IT experience?

Discussion in 'A+' started by crazysports, Oct 14, 2016.

1. crazysports

crazysports New Member

I just graduated with my associates degree (in general studies) and am thinking of getting into the IT field.

My community college offers a 3 week class for the COMPTIA IT Fundaments certification which I think I will take. I am not sure if that will be enough to get me an entry level help desk type job though, so I was thinking about studying for the A+ exam as well. Unfortunately my school doesn't offer a instructor led class on A+ (I am really more of a hands-on learner rather than book learner).

Do you think if I did the Messer videos or the testout course I would be able to pass the A+ without any hands on IT experience? Maybe there are other good learning options other than reading books?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Yes, certainly.

If you've got a good grasp on IT and your basic knowledge is good of core IT fundamentals, It's possible. As long as you study, understand and absorb the material in the messer videos / any books you get - you can certainly pass A+ without any experience.

A lot of folk on this forum have gone down that route. Sounds like you're progressing down a good path to land the entry level help desk.

Good luck :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. crazysports

crazysports New Member

Do you think that I need to be A+ certified to land my first help desk / IT job?

Also, do you think the CompTIA IT Fundamentals certification will help me at all getting an entry level IT job?

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

You don't need to be A+ certified to land your first helpdesk job. I wasn't, but i had some experience.

CompTIA Fundamentals will definitely help you getting in to a role as opposed to not having this at all. That said, if you're competent enough you could go and do the A+ without doing the fundamentals.

If you got both - that's an even more solid starting point for getting that first role

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Well many have done it so yes you can Im planning to do the fundamentals exam.. just to note I work in IT and have an MTA and ITIL

6. 1MillionBits

1MillionBits New Member

If you do not know a lot about computers then take the IT Fundamentals exam. But if you know basic functions of a pc (ie; you use one at least once a week) and you are wanting to get into IT as a career, you can skip this and go straight to A+. IT Fundamentals is a lot of study for what it is, the Sybex study quide IMAHO includes too much information for the 90 questions. My particular exam questions were mainly on IT literature. It seemed to be designed to test general knowledge and experience working on a computer, rather than be an exercise in memory recall.

TLDR; If you have used Office and you frequently use a computer then you should be okay to start prepping for your A+.

7. DavidWonrner

DavidWonrner New Member

Yes off-course you can pass CompTIA 220-1001 Exam with zero IT experience. But you have to be vigilant and get help from JustCerts CompTIA 220-1001 practice questions that will provide you everything that you need to learn, prepare and pass the challenging CompTIA A+ Core 1 Exam in the first attempt.