Can i make a recovery console boot disk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zr79, Nov 14, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

If you can't boot up and the xp cd does not allow you to enter the RC from setup is there anyway of loading the RC i thought a standalone boot disk that loads the RC?

Certifications: A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

This link may be of assistance to you.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Worked great. Thanks.

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Next question.

Why would there be no option in the xp setup to do a repair install, not recovery console(although that's not there either) but a repair install of XP(i think it's also called an upgrade install if you run the xp setup cd from the desktop).

And a repair install replaces all system files, deletes service packs and updates and keeps your own files in tact.

But as i said i put in my xp cd, booted into the setup and no repair install option it just takes me to the partitions and asks if i want to install xp.

I have the same service pack, sp3, on my current partition as what the cd has, i.e sp3.

I admit the xp cd is not an original although my key is original my original xp disk was scratched so i burned a new disk from a download

So it's like either.

1) The repair option install is disabled(maybe something to do with unattended, although i do get promoted during a fresh install using this disk, so i assume that's not an unattended install)
    2) The repair option install was never on the disk
    3) Maybe my boot.ini file or mbr is messed up and this is why it doesn't show a repair install option
    4) Maybe some updates i installed are doing it
    5) Maye the repair install needs an install log to read which may not be on my pc anymore(guessing)

Also would it be possible to burn a standalone repair cd like what i did above with the recovery console, somehow extract the repair install option from the xp cd?