Can i book an exam myself?

Discussion in 'A+' started by thelonegunman, Aug 6, 2009.

1. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

the reason i ask is because i have had two sales reps come round to my house from home learning collage, and skillstrain. both are asking massive ammounts of money for what i can tell is just books that can be bought from the net.

all they seam to do realy is book the exams for you and give you general guidence when needed. i realy dont think that this is worth over £1800.

so could i just buy the relivent A+ books off the net for arround £100 and book the 2 exams myself for £228? and make huge savings? or can the average joe not book exams themselves?

thank you

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

And to your question, yes you can self-study and book and exams yourself :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Yup, just go to vue.com or prometric.com

Also, if you visit gracetechsolutions.com you can buy an 'International' Voucher (for the UK - make sure it's International) and save yourself even more money.

4. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

ok thanks for the info guys. so would any of you say that buying books and teaching yourself would be a good road to go down? or do most people here use these companies? i just dont want to be muged of the best part of £2000.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey bud. Search the forum for the phrase: "self-study". You will find literally hundreds of posts from people advocating this as the method to choose for certification.

Good luck.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

thank you. it seams to me that mike meyers book is very good, im on amazon now and have seen his 6th edition of the A+ for £19. think this could be my bible for some weeks because of all the good reviews on the net (and here).

after looking through these forums i found out that compTIA are updating there exams in 2010 to 2009 editions. if this is the case does anyone know in what month they usualy do this? am i to assume almost all of the current info i.e (mike meyers book 6th edition) will still have alot of relivant infomation even when the update happens?

7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

You should be able to study for and pass the 2006 objectives before the new ones come out. Nobody knows when they're coming out (not for a while yet, certainly), but when they do, there's usually a three month grace period where you can still sit the old exam.

Also, CompTIA exams are life long, so it doesn't matter whether you have the 2006 or 2009 qualification, you're still A+ Certified.

Finally, Mike Meyers AIO is the way to go :)

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The new A+ exams are due soon.(end of this month?)
    The current A+ exams are still active (i.e. they can be taken) until July 31st next year.
    Yup, an A+ is an A+.
    Meyers AIO 6th Ed. is the way to go. IMO at least. Although I would advise against using only 1 study source.

One further thing: I've got the A+, Net+ and will complete my other MCP to gain MCDST status for the princely sum of around £850, over £500 of that will be in exam fees, the rest is books and hardware.
    My advice, as it would be to everyone contemplating an entry-level cert, would be: try self study first. If it's not for you, think about local colleges first before TPs.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job