Can anyone recomend a good training provider?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by keane14, Jan 8, 2009.

1. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone has any 'Good' experiences of training providers, i am looking to do a course any where in the Britain? But i am not looking for a distance learning course that will cost me 5 grand, i have heard bad things about Firebrand so i think i will discount them. Any help would be great?

Thanks in Advance!

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Out of interest, is there any particular reason why you "have" to spend £5,000 on a training provider course, as opposed to setting up what would be quite a respectable lab and paying for books / booking the exams?

I only have experience of part-time training providers, and with hindsight as a blessing, despite having a good experience with them, I would not recommend them to most people as a solution.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have put something similar to Arroryn in your Bluescreen thread.

You do not need to do a course or spend big amounts of money to take some exams and get certified.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The OP isnt looking to spend 5k. they dont want a TP that will charge them 5k.

I've only ever been certified on a course with one TP. Since I didnt pay, I cant comment on that, and it was only for the ITIL, so its not really that great for getting into IT. That said, it was a good course. I quite liked the guy taking it.

Take a look around the forums. Despite the heavy bias we as a community have towards self study, there are a few people who have been with TP's, and have good things to say about them.

EDIt: I would also recommend reading this and this. Remember, just because a TP is good for someone else, doesnt mean the same applies to you.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I clearly can't read :oops: thanks for pointing that out Fergal (sorry Keane14).

Have a gander at the articles that Fergal has linked you to - they will be of great help.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I've found that Firebrand are actually a good provider. I wouldn't go to them as a complete novice though, because of course they can't teach you everything you need to know in a couple of days. What they can do, and did for myself and two of my colleagues, is fill in the blanks that we didn't come across just by doing the job. Still, quite an expensive way to do so. I wouldn't have bothered if the boss hadn't paid for it.

I happen to think that the best way to really learn the material is to do it yourself, with the hardware required, a few good books and perhaps some video instruction for when you're just too fed up with reading.

Don't be too quick to discount Firebrand, there's a reason they keep winning awards, and it's because they are *that damn good*. You just need to prepare yourself for the pace.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+