1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Daniel

    Daniel Byte Poster

    1 day after my 70-270 and I cant wait to get stuck into my 70-290! :biggrin

    Anyways, just started reading MS Press book/watching LabSim.

    Right well, CALs (Client Access License)

    I understand that, a client needs a CAL to be able to 'access' the servers services and it can be based on per-user or per-computer basis, so if you have 10 computers, but only 5 users logging on at a time, then you would have CALs applied to each of the 5 users (per-user basis).

    My question is, what is meant by 'access'?

    So, say you bought a brand new Win 2k3 server and you had new 50 users and they logged onto the DC, would they each need a CAL, just to logon to the DC? Therefore offering a service?

    Thanks in advanced guys! :biggrin
    Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  2. GiddyG

    GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

    There is a bit about CALs on the MS site here...

    Hope this helps.
  3. Daniel

    Daniel Byte Poster

    I've viewed that :biggrin thank you anyway.

    The only problem I've yet to find an answer for is what I posted in the topic, 'access'.

    I know that on the MS Support site it defines server products:

    Per Seat licensing is available for the following Microsoft products in the server software pool:
    Class Server
    Exchange Server
    Office Project Server
    Office SharePoint Portal Server
    Office Live Communications Server
    SQL Server
    Systems Management Server
    Terminal Server
    Windows Rights Management Server
    Windows Server
    Windows Small Business Server
    But would you define logging onto the DC (not locally) as actually accessing it?
    Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  4. Jay_7

    Jay_7 Nibble Poster

    I'd certainly suggest so. "Access", in my mind, involves a client making use of the role a server is designed to play. "Access" to a file server would involve opening/editing a file, "access" to a terminal services server for a hosted application would require a specific terminal services CAL. "Access" on a DC would involve authenticated login as that's its role.
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Byte Poster

    Thanks Jay :biggrin

    I thought so, I confirmed this with my colleague last night, thanks!
    Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

    UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

    In addition I can advise from past experience :

    Client had two swipe card terminals for staff on entry/exit. Server hosted app to gather the data from these machines and they also had IP addresses. Microsoft Partner helpline informed us we had to have CALs for these two machines. Even tho' they didn't log onto the server there was still an "active" connection for gathering the data !

    Good ol' MS :p
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Byte Poster

    I'll have to look into whether we use CALs for our swipe card entry/exit system, I shouldnt think that we would need them, but, I'm not betting on it.

    It's all recorded onto a member server which acts as a database and security authentication server (for swipe cards) so I'm assuming as they 'access' the server, then we require CALs for them.
    Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM

Share This Page