Calc available in 291?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by oliness, Sep 9, 2008.

1. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

For the subnetting questions in the 291 exam, are you given an option to use the windows calculator for working out the answer? Or do you need to do it all in your head and on the notepad you are given?

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know whether a calculator is provided... but to be well-prepared for the exam, you should be able to subnet in your head (without the crutch of a calculator), to the point that it's second nature to you. This won't be the last exam you see subnetting on, so you'd be well-served to master the art. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. paulb

paulb New Member

There is a calculator available for all the questions in this exam but you shouldn't need it, just master the basics of calculating subnets and you'll be fine, i sat the exam this week (and failed :thumbdwn will be resitting soon!) I think there were only around 4 or 5 IP subnetting related questions but plenty of DNS & DHCP questions, with quite a few RRAS and WSUS thrown in too

all good fun

Certifications: MCP
  4. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

Sorry about the fail, what did you do worst on? I am pretty good at subnetting, have taken lots of the free online questions and can answer most of them correctly. Not so learned on WSUS, am really putting the work in to study for it.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. oliness

oliness Bit Poster