cable tracker confusion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wassup, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

can someone help me out here plz....

is this
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=cable tracker&source=15&SD=Y

the same as this
    http://www.mcmconnect.com/tenma/product/72-6068/Cable Testers

which is the same as this
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=IN04640
    or this
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Test+Equ...TELLIPROBE+100/displayProduct.jsp?sku=IN04742

??? obviously they are different but it doesnt seem to clear, I want to track RJ45 cables put in to an old building some time ago

the company is going to pay and I said it'd be around a £100 or so but if it can be got cheaper, I'm sure they wouldnt mind.

thanks

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

At first glance I would say they basically do the same thing, probably the others have more bells and whistles and do all sorts of tests.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

They all do tracking by tone, but all except the Maplins unit do a lot more.

I have the Maplins unit and it does exactly what it claims to do. The drawback is that the cables shouldn't be connected to anything while using it. The other units will measure signal on the cable and do a variety of other tests.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I've got the one from mcmconnect and it has saved me so much time. I just could not do my job without it now, that and my RJ45 cable tester

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

we got a good cable tracker from Mills for around £65 inc P&P. can't give you the link due to a coldfusion error on their site!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Whassup,

Questions:
    1. When you mention "..., I want to track RJ45 cables put in to an old building some time ago...", do you know what category the cable is rated at? 3? 5? 5e?
    2. When you mention "..., I want to track RJ45 cables put in to an old building some time ago...", do you know what category the RJ-45 connectors are rated at? 3? 5? 5e?
    3. When you mention "..., I want to track RJ45 cables put in to an old building some time ago...", do you know what category the 8-position modular jacks are rated at? 3? 5? 5e?

Without knowing those three pieces of information, you can't possibly purchase the appropriate cable tester. Also, you will not do your company any service if you don't get a cable tester that CERTIFIES the cabling/channel to a certain category. Certifying cable testers are rather expensive so it is usually professional cable installers should have the equipment. So it may be cheaper to hire professionals instead of attempting an in house cheaper alternative with non-certifying cable testers.

See my reply to "Mr. Cheeks" in the following thread - http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15953

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

thanks r h lee (have some rep)

good questions however, I can't answer them , although pretty sure the answer should be .... straight CAT5 , no 3 or 5e for any of them.

In that it is precisely the "professionals" in the past who have laid the cables and ended us up in the current predicament of collision city and treacle fast ethernet.

On top of that it's a listed (protected) building so they can't go through walls, its all hidden behind panels and false ceilings, under carpets, etc and some of the cables do actually appear to go up into the ceiling space but no-one knows where (if at all) they come back down again!

That being the problem, is there a good cable tracker that would cover that, ie give me some output/throughput reading as well? (do they do semi-certified testers??? :) )

Boyce, do you know the model number of that one from Mills? sounds like a good price ...

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Our place was kitted out from new, and the guy who put the CAT5 cabling in said he buy's most of his tools and comm cabinets from Mills. I will try and find the model, although after re-reading your thread, I see you want a "fox and hound" opposed to a simple plug in and test for shorts and open wires etc. This is all I bought, because it is ideal for checking patch leads and if any of the patch panels have work and get in a muddle!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT