Cable statistics

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Malnomates, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I have a sound knowledge of the cable statistics that are required for an N+ exam, or at least I think I have! I have been reading various study guides for this particular subject and to be perfectly honest no two are the same, some giving variances in maximum lengths of 30% or more! This I can cope with to some extent but where do i draw the correct information from in order to be absolutely sure I've learned the correct material?

I have memorised the table of stats from the SYBEX 4th edition and prettymuch the same for the All In One, differences are still there though. I know this is only a small part of the overall syllabus but I do feel a little uneasy with this, or am I over reacting maybe?

Certifications: A+ Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not sure if you're overreacting, but it's possible. Fiber distances seem to be the ones that vary the most, so I just learned a general range that I might expect for fiber. If you're able to pick the right answer from multiple choices, you'll probably be fine. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There *shouldn't* be variations in lengths at least. These are (or should be) very well known in the industry.

However - note that some books will show shorter lengths where plenum runs are being discussed as you need to allow for patch cables at each end.

Could you point out the differences - I have both books and it would be interesting to double check?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Malnomates

All I one page 138 -100baseFX max length-400m
    Groth (sybex) page 30,chapter 1-100baseFX max length 2000

All in One page 139 1000baseLX max length-5000m
    Sybex page 30 1000baseLX max length-2000m

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...but, unfortunately, not always so well known by the creators of the live exams. ;) heh!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Malnomates

Ok,more to the point then..Did anyone here use the Sybex table of cable statistics for their N+ 2005 objectives exam? If so, can you remember whether these figures gave a correct answer or did you get some of these cabling questions wrong through varied information?

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Linky

This snippet it more confusing :biggrin

Linky

I know it doesn't answer your question specifically what is the correct answer for the exam but it does give you some insight into why there are discrepancies.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Malnomates

Nice one Blue,again! 8)

9. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hey Mal,

As I remember the exam if you know the stuff as in depth as you do then the wrong answers will be obvious. 8)

Don't sweat it too much, you'll p1ss it. :biggrin

All the best (and I'll be looking over your shoulder to make sure 8)) on the exam.

Do it dude, you the man. :thumbleft

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  10. Malnomates

No pressure then?..:blink

Actually, I've decided that Boyce must represent the masses and buy me copious amounts of alcohol when I pass the exam, followed by a non-vegetarian Thali from the India Gate and a hired Limousine home. All those in favour say 'aye'. :p

11. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Aye.

I might look over your shoulder on the night (of the curry), but the morning after you're stictly on your own. :eek:

J. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Aye :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)