CABLE modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Chaps, switching over to virgin cable soon, and need to get myself a modem/router... ...as what i have heard that the ethernet one that they ship is shitty...

im going to get this one as its in my price range and its got web filtering (not like im going to use that filter!), VPN, DHCP, and built-in firewall...

is there anything i need to know about with Virgin or do to do with setting this up, or is it piss easy like setting the other modem/router devices as all one needs to do is to read the instructions and press the "tit"

...and one additional question, am i correct in assuming this will work on ADSL aswell as CABLE? :rolleyes:

2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Cable is on COAX cables from the wall to the modem, not like a standard ADSL phone line cable, you will have to use their modem either way and then connect the modem to that router.

edit: I'm not sure if the dsl router supports cable, I think you can buy different ones. Might be a gimmick though :)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Any decent one will 'just work' without any setting up, as your username/password will be in the modem, which Virgin supply and you have to use.
    In the UK - nope. It might work if you have a standalone ADSL modem with Ethernet output, but these are rare in the UK.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That is the router I have but I am not wireless with it, since I get shitty wifi signals living amongst lots of hills n stuff.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

what speed are you going to get from VM. the max speed of the connection to the cable side of that router is only 10 meg. If you are getting their 20 meg speed you'll have quite a bottleneck there.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Cheeks, VM will supply you with a decent modem for the cable connection - all you need is a router (Linksys are good)! However you can plug directly into the modem via RJ45 or USB.

Some routers are referred to as DSL/Cable due to the US being the main market! It's only in this behind the times country where things are different!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Cheeks, may I ask - why are you switching to Virgin and who is you curent isp?

The reason that I ask is that I have been with Virgin for a number of years (used to be ntl) and I'm on the verge of switching out as I'm getting very frustrated with the poor service. Just wonderded if I should rule youe current isp out aswell :)

Oh, and Drum_Dude - your banner about fog lights made me smile. I fully endorse it!!

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL :D:D:biggrin Cheers Tim! Feel free to spread the word!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree virgin are shite! Most of mates were on virgin and then swapped to sky.

Cheeks do your research before switching here's an article by ISP review dated the 16th November 2007. Stating problems with adsl virgin broadband.

Here's a review from there customer stating how slow the service is:- ISPreview 14/11/07

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have to say, Virgin Media are just getting worse and worse everyday...Sir Richard Branson should have left them alone!! Telewest was the BEST ISP ever...well in my eyes anyway...and now Virgin Media have made it so bad...its not even funny...its just daylight robbery!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. Mr.Cheeks

for &#163;5pm for 2mb line, i aint gonna complaint, especially when the exchange is a <2min walk, so i decided to go with this ...

what you guys reckon

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Just remember mate you get what you paid for!! I have heard some shite reviews about the service so a little suprised you went for them. As for the router 5 stars and 35 reviews sounds pretty good.:biggrin

13. Mr.Cheeks

i know what you mean, i heard some shite reviews about my previous ISP, but they only went "down" on me 3 times over a period of 2 1/2 years, and the downtime was only about 8 hours or so... cant really ask for a 100&#37; uptime...

14. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

VM have been good for me, my ping time is perfect and that's all I care about. I'm only on the 2mb connection so I'm not after much in terms of download speed.

I used to be very picky about ISP's and was constantly changing. I've really had no issue with VM...

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yeah maybe so but is 2mb line going to be fast enough for the p@rn Channel. :wink::twisted::hahaha