Cable lengths??

Discussion in 'A+' started by elli5on, Aug 2, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi all i just wondered if anyone knows of a site with all cable lengths and data transfer rates??

I know most of them fo rinstance a USB Individual cable can be a maximum of 5 metres... Or daisy chained to a maximum of 30metres.

I understand that 10base2 is what it says 10=10mbps. base=baseband. and 2 = 2 in hundreds of metres, and that RG58 is used tom implement it further.

But a page where all the info was on one section would be extremely useful to brush up on the little rough patches before my exam in september.

Any help would be grateful

Craig :biggrin

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - while not collected together, they are all in the MM book!

What I do is to write them on a sheet of paper when reading the relevant chapter. I find this helps me to remember them.

I don't know of a site will *all* the random things like this collected together (like SCSI, Network etc).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Try doing Google searches in Images for the relevant topic. Sometimes, useful items come up. Make sure they're not copyrighted by the owner, and off you print!!

Here's an example for SCSI, which I found quite difficult to keep in my memory (sorry for length of the link!)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...%2B+cable+lengths&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off

Also, be careful on the facts - I think 10Base2 actually has a max segment of 185 metres? (originally 200 metres, but that didn't quite work...)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. hbroomhall

Correct - 10base2 is 185m

Harry.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yeah, it got rounded up; 10base2 is quicker to say than 10base185.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. hbroomhall

Some sources suggest that it got rounded down because of practical physical problems at the time! :biggrin

Harry.