Bye-bye to CentOS!

Discussion in 'Software' started by fortch, Aug 3, 2006.

1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

*sniff sniff*

Well, the CentOS server (actually, RHEL) that is my print, file and webserver, has just gone Kabloooey! Last night, while doing some package maintenance and kernel upgrading, the power clicked off. We've had several days of 100+F, so the grid was drained, but it was at night. Still, complete collapse.

No prob, right? Every respectable geek has at least one UPS! Well, during the process, I was up in the kitchen, and got sidetracked. When the power dropped, I went to see if my wife needed anything, while the APC unit was squawking. Unfortunately, the battery is several years old, and it QUIT. Now, the server is FUBAR.

The good news? I need more experience with Linux, and I'd wanted to migrate to Debian anyways. Besides, the church's website is backed up to another box, so it shouldn't be much to make it right. Fun! :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

have you worked with debian before? also debian 4 is out in december just so you know...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry i just realised something i have been meaning to ask someone for ages.. i know centos is deemed the free RHEL but is it really tit for tat with RHEL? or are there some differences?

4. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I'm no Linux expert, but it's basically an unsupported version of RHEL without certain packages (proprietary/retail software like the Enterprise System Management). Unsupported, meaning you're stuck with IRC, newsgroups and message boards (and $$$ support too).

A nice workstation distro, with a ton of hardware support (except for the HP winprinters!), and just as capable as a server. However, it's sooo easy to manage with the GUI that I rarely get on the command line, unless I ssh in from upstairs. Debian will force me to learn...

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im a debian user but these two books are a must for any debian user (i think they the only 2 out there!) the bible will take you back to basics but its good chapters on the package management at the start and shows you alot of server builds too! I have had a look at the second and its a little more advanced but both very good!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...pd_ka_1/026-7445116-3901238?ie=UTF8&s=gateway
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...pd_ka_2/026-7445116-3901238?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

how long you been using linux?

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Seems you were a tad unlucky there fortch, presumably the reason for the FUBAR outcome was that it was doing the kernel upgrade at the time of the outage - bummer - Oh well, you only learn when things go wrong. Good luck with the rebuild and the restoration of the web site. Let us know how it goes please.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

No worries, nothing is mission critical, and the site is a freebie anyways. Regardless, I've got to handle it. So far, Debian is a bit slimmer than CentOS, but with Gnome they are very similar in terms of GUI. Although I'm into CL for now, sometimes searching for something you're not entirely sure of is much easier with a file browser (grep just doesn't help idiots!)

As for how long I've used linux, that's a bit misleading. I've had a linux box for years, but it was either just a file server, or it was churning out RC5 (dnet). Since I had a job with a webhost for about a year, I was forced to learn RH at an alarming rate, but only in terms of triage. Now, since the job market in the DC Area ignores M$ certs (these are all big datacenters with Solaris, AS400, etc.), I'm looking for more exposure to different things. I'll never master anything, but I can function as a jack-of-all-trades.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nice! :biggrin alot of people say debian is one of the hardest to learn but that didnt put me off and im glad i did. I started straight away with no GUI and built a samba server and you learn alot that way - just playing and learning that way