Bye bye contracting!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Apexes, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Finally been offered a permanent role with work, and am mega happy about it! even got a bit of a payrise out of it too.

Whilst contracting is ok, i miss the security of a permanent role, paid holidays, if i am ill then not to worry about missing payment.

Now, to try and start a savings fund!!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

grats on the permie role. vBeers all round!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats Apexes!

The fact you now have job security as well as a payrise is amazing!

8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

it doesn't exist anymore, company hits financial difficulties they will drop you like a stone, especially anyone with under two years service, which still includes you...

5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A different kind of job security... as he stated, if he's ill for a day, he won't be out of that days salary.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

In all honesty I prefer the life style of being a contractor, in a role for 18 - 24 months and pretty decent rates. I often wonder why I took up a perm role some times (I spend 5 - 6 hours a day on a train of one sorts or another), at the moment I haven't received any training (and that's looking like that's not going to change any time soon) so I really am wondering.

I will see what the new year brings.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Currently I am working from home, so no commute. My contract rate has taken a hit but is still 1.5 - 2 times what most permies would make.

I don't get sick pay, holiday pay, pension or redundancy, but frankly my rate accounts for that.

8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Yup, i agree.

Each to their own i guess :) - i'm looking to get a house fairly soon, so a regular expected monthly salary would fit me nicely for mortgage payments, bills etc.

9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

You're definitely right, but since they've just hired him - it shows that there is demand and they're happy with his work. Of course, situations could change, but if that happened then Apexes could have lost the contract as well.

But, my main point as Shinigami mentioned, was the added bonuses such as holiday, pension, sick pay and a certain 'stability' in regards to income and expectations.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  10. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Congrats Apexes! and about the rest of the comments here ...well both types of jobs have their add & dis-adds but I would prefer to work as contractor only if it was like in the old days when getting another contract was not as tough as it is.. and even as contractors companies gave you some added benefits along with your pay.. although I have only done contracting twice so far... the above comments came from a colleague I was working with as he had been contracting for 20 odd years

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Agree with all been said above and congrats on the new permanent role.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the permanent role! I take it it's the same stuff then just as a staffy now?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Yup same work, but with benefits of permanent position.

SCCM Infrastructure mainly.

Also, using a company fleet car rather than leasing a seperate one to go to another office! :D little things make all the difference lol

14. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Yup same work, but with benefits of permanent position.

SCCM Infrastructure mainly.

Also, using a company fleet car rather than leasing a seperate one to go to another office! :D little things make all the difference lol

15. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Congrats on the advancement and the best of luck.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff