buying advice

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by anto6ik7, Sep 2, 2009.

1. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I have an option to buy Microsoft book for 70-271 for really cheap price. However, it comes without cd. So i wanted to ask people how used the cd before how useful was it?

Should i pay more to get the book with the cd? Is it possible to get everything from the book?

Thank you. :)

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

CD has a pdf version of the book (easier to search) and measure up practice questions / exams.

I recommend you have the cd personally

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thank you for your reply. :)

are the practise questions/exam from the book?

Do i need the cd to do them?

thank you

4. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

In short yes everything you need to know is in the book. But ideally you will want to make sure you are ready for the exam and the best way is to have practice tests. However, if the book is very cheap you could buy a practice test piece of software from somewhere like MeasureUP (Microsoft's recomendation), Ucertify or preplogic etc.

5. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

The book does have some end of chapter questions, and a section at the back of the book which has questions on the basic concepts. These are good, but imho practice tests are useful to see where you are.

6. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Great, thank you very much for the answer. I am going to check your recommended sites.:)

7. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

8. supernova

As stated , the practice objective questions are from the book the measureup practice exams are cd only.

The measureup exams are useful, however, tends to be more difficult than the real thing in my view

9. supernova

never heard of them , be careful there not brain dumps (copied exams) or you could loose any certs you may have.

10. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

ok, thanks to everyone for your advice:)

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, it looks to me like a braindump - stay well away.

Keep in mind that "cheap" doesn't equal "good" 99% of the time.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

thanks for your replies.

I have just ordered Microsoft book from amazon site. I will get learning material + practise exam and i will be sure it is not braindump.

Thanks.

13. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Good luck with it, there's quite a bit of material to get through but its good cert. If you have the money I would recommend getting an old PC to practise on too, as this will help you get the in-depth experience with the OS. :D

14. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

What's about VMware? I have already got a server with 2 clients running as i wanted to go for mcsa first. However, i changed my mind and now i can practise same networkstations for 271. :)

15. supernova

you need to a DST to complete the MCSA, to be honest there is a reason that the DST is before the MCSA its like a build up.

16. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Not my area of expertise but I believe you need to buy a licence for VMWare (not totally sure though). Otherwise Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is free and pretty good for what you need it for.

17. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

our university has provided with the key for vmware workstation. So there is no problem to use it. However, if someone wants to use it for free they could download vmware player. it can run only 1 OS, but is useful for preparation for client exams. :)

18. supernova

you can download free versions on vmware server and esx.

it was mentioned because most people use vm's to create lab environments as its more economic.

my mcsa/e lab will be on esx ie running a dc, member servers and several clients.

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 or a seconded pc will get you through the dst

PS dont forget MS Hyper-V

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009