But it wasn't opened until Xmas Day!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Dec 17, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Right people you have to hear this. On Tuesday I got what I have to say is the funniest call so far.

Customer rings up about his daughters iPod being faulty. He told me he bought the iPod on 5th Dec 2004.But his daughter didnt open it until Xmas day. He then said the iPod developed a fault on 2nd Dec 2005 but he didnt report it faulty until 11th Dec 2005 there for the warranty ran out on 4th Dec 2005 (1yr warranty only!). When I told him this he said he refused to believe that and said the warranty actually started on Xmas day so he was still in warranty. I thought "Am I the one being stupid or this guy on another planet?" I told him that it dont make a difference when his daughter opened the iPod the bottom line is he bought it on the 5th Dec 2004 so the warranty started from that date. I tried to give him another example to which he replied "I know where your going with that and I dont care" So I thought this guy isnt going to let up. He firmly believes the iPods warranty began on Xmas day. He even said he would kick up a fuss about it!!! I was laughing to myself at this point as to how stupid this guy was. He even demanded to speak to our Customer Relations department to make a complaint. I didnt hesitate in doing this. So when I went thru to them I told the guy that he would laugh at what I was about to tell him. And sure enough when I told him he was howling with laughter. I put the customer thru to him after that.

Now can someone please tell me....if you buy an electrical product (or anything for that matter!!) as an Xmas present for someone...regardless of them opening it on Xmas doesnt the warranty actually start from the date you bought the damn thing?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's actually more complicated than that.
    I used to work in retail management. You think 'users' can be daft, 'customers' are worse.

If I gave you an iPod and it broke down in nine months, you actually have no legal rights whatsoever. The contract is between the customer (me) and the retailer. Statutory rights aren't transferrable with gifts.
    Things are made even more difficult as people rarely hand over a receipt when they give a gift (otherwise you would see that I had bought your iPod on eBay for £4.99).

I went on a trading standards course that lasted THREE days.
    It's a nightmare.

It's also not technically correct that a manufacturer can turn their back on a product after a year (or whatever), but the value of the product (hence the support provided) devalues over time.

aaargh!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Why are you telling him this when you don't even know this yourself?

BTW, you've really go to stop calling people stupid.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Sorry nugget but I didnt get that post of yours? What do you mean by I dont even know myself? did you read the whole post? And I can call this guy stupid cos thats exactly what he is. Thinking the warranty started on Xmas day rather than when he bought the product itself. So tell me if he isnt stupid then what is he?

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ignorant. :dry

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Unfortunately we live in a culture where things like 'Watchdog' have given customers the idea that they can pretty much do as they please.

Retailers too are feeling the pressure on the high street. If I was a manager of a store and someone brought an iPod back a couple of weeks out of warranty I'd give him a new one, shake him by the hand and give him a gift voucher for his trouble.

Then prey he never found out that he could have got the thing half price from Amazon in the first palce.

With everyone bending over backwards to keep their customers (with one exception :tune ) it's hardly surprising that they can wrap you round their little finger.

Personally i don't necessarily think it's right. There are rules and laws and they should apply to everyone equally. If my iPod was out of warranty I'd give a big sigh and pay to get it repaired. My wife would go back to the shop and make a scene until they gave in.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

And thats what most people tend to do anyway. But like u say its the world we live in and I guess we just have to deal with it. But some people can go a little too far!! which is what really gets up my nose a lot!!!

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, first of all you say in no uncertain words that you are right and he is wrong and then in the last sentence you ask us if you're right. I just don't get it.

The second point is that just because someone is ignorant or misinformed does not mean he is stupid and certainly does not give you the right to call him so. As a case in point I seem to remember a post a little while ago about a guy sticking a nail in a PSU. Is this guy stupid or did he just do a stupid thing? You tell me.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

You have a good point there nuggett. I think the guy with the nail in his PSU just did a stupid thing! (made me laugh though) It's human error and we all do stupid things from time to time, this doesn't make us stupid! I'll leave it at that!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  10. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

AFAIK the guy is wrong. The warranty starts from when he bought it. That said, if any product I bought died a few days after the warranty expired I'd be well peed off. Any company with an ounce of sense would honour the warranty, unless the product was heavily used or misused. Its far easier to lose a customer than to gain one.

On a related note, the same can be said for customers who get a raw deal from 'customer service' . Feeling contempt for the customer is an easy trap to fall into, but at the end of the day, they pay your wages and expect service, so keep it bottled while you're on the phone folks!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  11. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

He's just like anyone else who's ipod stops working a few days after the warranty expires. I sure as sh*t would kick up a fuss too. Doesnt make me stupid. If you dont try, you don't get.

Neall

WIP: A+
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Difference is nugget I DID admit I was wrong when putting the nail into the PSU. This guy however didnt want to admit he was wrong and he so was!! at least in some part Clyde agrees with me. But Clyde I see where your coming from...I do agree that its harsh that just a few days out of the warranty we cant give some sort of exception to the customer. The only time we do that is if the product was a computer (PowerMac G5, iMac G5, PowerBook and iBook G4s) but they need to get those looked at by an Apple Authorised Service Provider before any exception can be made. In the case of iPods...if the customer did report the fault a few days before the warranty ended but nothing was done (and we had a record of the call!) then and only then will we give an exception and repair or replace the iPod. I will admit I dont like the warranty Apple give to their customers cos I think its one great farce but as much as I would love to bend the rules I cant otherwise its a P45 in the post! So I have to tell them what they dont want to hear and I do hate doing that sometimes.