Problem business backup

Discussion in 'Networks' started by uk1gazza, Jul 15, 2010.

1. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

hi eveyone so this is my problems,

2 work computers which both have lots of account files, we had a problem where we was backing them up to a network HDD however when they were backing up we were getting messages such as file is being used by a second program ect so can you give me any ideas to the best way to solve this problem so we can use both machines and files from each of them are backup all the time. just one last thing we have a 3rd highpowerd pc which is just sitting around with a 2tb hdd can that be used for anything in terms of backing up the other 2 machines thanks

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What files are "in use" when the backup runs mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

e.g we use myob as our accounting program and the file whic holds all of our account is very large in size so takes a while to backup and whens its being backedup we are unable to use it

4. Sparky

Can this not be backed up out of office hours instead?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

no the ower dosnt want the machines left on after office hours so is there anyway software or something which will duplicate the files on the machines and then they can be backed up it would almost have to be like the files are mirrored so they stay up to date

6. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

just out of curiosity if we were to use out 3rd machine to store all the files on and map that as a network drive so the other machines could use the files is there a way to duplicate the files on the 3rd machine to a 2nd HDD so that they can be backedup from there ?? but again the duplicated files would have to be updated once the files are resaved the reason i ask this is because we maybe able to get the owner to leave just that once machine on ?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. Sparky

It depends how this application works. Backup software is designed to deal with files that are in use (such as SQL DBs) so that they can be backed up even if users are connected.

The cheapest way to add some fault tolerance to this is to move the files to a NAS box with at least two hard drives however this isn’t going to help if the data becomes corrupt.

The best solution is to backup the data overnight like 99.9% of businesses do. Tell the owner it has to be that way or no backups, simple! :biggrin

8. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

ok so in regards in storing the files on 1 computer so they can be accesed by the other to and haveing just that one machine backing up over night how would that work ?

9. Sparky

Is it Windows XP?

If so ntbackup to a NAS box could be a basic solution.

10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

If you have spare machine sitting around go for DPM. As far as I know it's free and you only have to pay for licenses on protected machines. Which in your case shouldn't be that much. With 2TB storage dedicated for backup definately DPM is the way to go. Can't go wrong with seamless sync every 15 or 30 minutes with month's worth of recovery points*

* Depends on the size of data. Experiences may vary

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  11. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

yes its windows xp thanks for the info, we have a WD 2TB network drive so if i store all the file on the 3rd machine and map one of the HDD in that machine as a network drive is there anyway to mirror that map HDD to a second on to be backed up by the WD network drive sorry for all the questions mate i just wanna get this out the way and as i am the only one with any knowledge in my place im getting bugged as u can imagin

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think you need to look into a product that utilises shadow copies, it actually backs up that file rather than the original.

As far as backing up goes, why not add a script to the backup job that shutsdown the machine after the backup
    (something like shutdown -s would do the trick if the backup software itself couldn't do it).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  13. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

simon dont mean to sound think but thats well over me lol, all i really want to do is put all the files on my spare machine which has 2 HDD'S C: and E: i want C: as a mapped network drive which stores all files from so they can be used from other machines in the offce i then want E: to copy all files from C: and the backed up to an external 2TB WD Network drive i really just want the most cost effect way with out having to leave all the machines on in the office

14. Sparky

15. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

ok sparky looks good so just to clear up once i have mapped the network drive with all my files and everyone from the office can use them i can set NTbackup to start at say 5.30pm after office hrs to backup my mapped drive to the other drive in the computer and then say get the WD network drive to back that drive up at say 12pm ?

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You don't have to leave them on all night, only during the backup, as I said you can script a shutdown, not just of a local pc but also a remote one. I think you need to educate the boss and start asking the question 'how much is the data worth if we lose it?' because if he says it's worth the company then he has to give a little bit of leeway when it comes to machines running a little later.

I would also have to advise that you actually look at buying some decent software, even if it's only something like Acronis, make sure you take a decent backup of your data.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  17. uk1gazza

uk1gazza New Member

thanks for all your help