Busco un trabajo INCREIBLE

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by de_la_espada, Jul 24, 2005.

1. de_la_espada

de_la_espada New Member

hi all,

I've just graduated with a 2:1 in Zoology.
    Over the past 3 years I've learnt that actually, I'd quite like to build a career for myself in IT.
    In a couple of years I'd like to get into IT contracting so I can see a bit more of the world, maybe learn more foreign languages as well.
    For the mean time, I have been searching for an entry level IT job for about a month. My problem is I have been too picky.

Ideally I'm looking for a trainee programmer role in Mid Devon, 16k+/year. These jobs do turn up and I have applied for several, but naturally such a position gets swamped with applicants, many with 1st degrees in computing and a better skill set than me.

So right now I'm considering taking the A+ and looking for a temporary/permanent role in support.

Getting into IT is a hell of a nut to crack.

I look forward to reading other peoples views and experiences on this site.

un saludo

/Nick.

Certifications: Zippo.
    WIP: Entry level IT role. considering A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Nick. Welcome to Certforums. Glad you made it. Hope we can help out with your pursuit of the A+.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Hiya, welcoma aboard and good luck with your studies

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi, Welcome to CF.
    Yes, it looks like "breaking in to IT" is a difficult nut to crack but hopefully it is worth the wait. :D

Best of luck

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to CertForums :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Keep a portfolio of your work!

About 4 years ago i was chasing entry level programming jobs, i learnt C to a farely advanced level, low level programming Micro-controllers via serial port on PC, taping into bios and processor registers etc. and C++ to intermediate level, writting some pretty useful small programs for home and my job at the time..

Now i did get interviews purely because i kept a portfolio of everything i programmed my problem came because i didn't have a degree. I was up against graduates most of the time!!

You have a degree, even though its not exactly relevent to the career your after dont dispair..i was told at the time by a careers advisor and a couple of agencies that some companies look purely for people with degrees because it demonstrates a level of education, it demeonstrates you can learn at that level. So the contents of your degree might not always be that relevent..

what they are looking for is your ability to design programs, code programs, compile and debug!

I used to provide possible employers with an executable program and the source code. I use to search the net for freeware programs just for ideas of programs to try and write. so then i would design and code in my own style. The end result was esentially the same, sometimes a little less sophisticated!!

Also dont just apply for jobs that ask for your subset of skills, my skills were c/c++ i once had an interview for an entry level job that required VB. Programming is the skill not always the language.

Ok i never managed to get a job as a programmer, mainly due to a change in direction in my job at the time but for the six months i was applying for positions i did get some interviews even second interviews.

So dont give up!!! keep writing programs and portfolio all your work.

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bootros bootros gali.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome aboard Nick - glad you found us :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. DaveB

DaveB Bit Poster

7 years ago I too was 'trying to break into IT'. I had a degree in Politics and East Asian Studies and no expeience with computers. Just an idea that I used to be good at maths and that you could travel with computer skills!
    I started with a distance learning course from Computeach. AVOID THEM. It is expensive and I found them very inflexible about postponing while I raised more funds.
    A recruitment agent advised me to do a full time post-graduate diploma at a local university. It had a number of 'Conversion Courses' that were geared towards filling the skills gap and getting graduates from other disciplines jobs in the IT sector.
    This course led firstly to a huge growth in my knowledge and skills as you would expect and then to a summer of well supported job applications and interviews that eventually culminated in an entry level programming job.
    This approach worked very well for me so it might be worth looking into. I would say that the courses at the University where I did this had too many students and they had really different experience levels - from people with first degrees in computing to people like me who had never even sent an email. These courses attract a lot of funding and earn more money for the institutions the more people that they have enroled so this is something to watch out for.
    The people who got most out of the course were the ones who were really motivated and worked really hard - there was a lot to cover.
    This approach worked for me. It may be something that would be useful for you. I'm sure you'll find a way in to IT and hope that when you do you find it as rewarding as I have.

Good luck :)

Certifications: MCAD
    WIP: MCSD
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, Nick, I can see you're a master at understating things. :biggrin

My experience has been that it's about a painful as cracking one of my own nuts. :bam

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1