bus topology

Discussion in 'Network+' started by malayo, Jul 19, 2012.

1. malayo

malayo Bit Poster

i had never seen this kind of setup, anyone had cross any picture how the setup looks like in real life?
    especially the trunk/backbone connected to computer

thanks.

Certifications: LPIC-1, VCP4
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Presuming you are meaning the network topology, the aren't really used prominently.

Easiest one to think of is two computers connected via a crossover cable.

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They used to be common in small businesses ~18 years ago by using BNC T connectors, now with cheap Ethernet routers/switches you won't see them.

Computers internally still have buses and wi-fi can be thought of as a bus topology.

Bus network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. malayo

malayo Bit Poster

thanks for this hint for the bnc t connector.
    now i know how it would look like based on pictures from certain site (cannot post due to forum's restriction)

5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I came across one ONCE a good few years back when I was just getting back into IT. A campus. They used a new network, with switches and UTP, but noone had ever bothered to rip out the old network, and by this time it was preserved as a curiousity. Had this big thick coax "backbone" cable that ran right across, and the computers were tapped into it every few metres.
    They fired it up every now and then just for giggles and to show people how networking used to look.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. malayo

malayo Bit Poster

what sort of computers that would use this networking?
    probably ancient :D

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They were 486DX's when I saw BNC on coax. (Some of us are old enough to remember when windows did not support networking...)

Buses however are not outdated, like I said there are 5+ physical buses in your computer right now.

Front side Bus, Hypertransport, QPI
    DMI Bus
    FDI Bus
    PCI Express Bus
    SATA Bus
    USB
    SMBus
    SCSI
    Firewire

Then you have logical buses like Wi-Fi and bluetooth.

Its all communication, its just you don't think of it as networking.

Sun used to have a phrase 'the network is the computer' because they liked to have high performance buses in their machines. Supercomputers use Gigabit Ethernet, Infiniband or custom switches from IBM etc as their 'bus'.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  8. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I've only seen it once in about 13 years in IT - when I worked for a retailer, POS tills were connected using BNC/T connectors (POS software was DOS based so you can imagine how old this setup was...)

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP