Building your brand

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Aug 4, 2019.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

This is something I hear more of recently. The idea is that in addition to your work, you’re also getting your name out there through blogs, public events like VMUGs (is there a Microsoft version of this btw?), presenting and so forth to boost your career and profile In the IT industry.

I just wondered, do you do anything along these lines? Don’t be shy, this is a public forum so fits entirely in with this. Have you passed any exams lately? Tell me, I want to hear about it. Big yourself up!

Prior to working for VMware I didn’t do any of this. Since then I have started to stick my neck out more. I had to learn how to use twitter for one thing. Something I’d been on for ages but barely touched. Advocacy is a big thing for my line of work that I really enjoy. I’ve been doing more and more of this sort of thing unconsciously. I’ll share a few bits but I wanted to hear from some of our 16,000 members first. An incredible milestone for CF which has been running since 2003. Long may it continue (Ahem premium membership ha ha)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I see a lot more people doing this and personally I would not do it I prefer to let my work speak for itself.

However saying that I do think it can help your career as people will get to know you and your work, although that all depends if people agree with what you have been saying!

I even know one person who thinks of a different approach to a security topic, creates a slick presentation and basically travels the world presenting it then after a year thinks of a new topic and does it again (they are are great at presenting which is a skill in itself.

Certifications: A few.
    JK2447 likes this.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I just renamed myself Dr Pepper, if I have a daughter I will call her Tide Pod, its just easier that way...

4. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ha ha ready made branding. When I look at the most successful people in IT. They have usually worked hard to get their name out there. Writing books and having lots of followers. Are they the best in their field. Possibly not but they've attacked it from another angle which is admirable

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  5. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

This video from Packet Pushers I saw last year might be relevant to this topic:

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
    JK2447 likes this.
  6. ellisael

ellisael New Member

Hey this is an interesting thread. much to learn and much to grow towards being a brand unto oneself.

7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah – it can help especially if you have a more customer facing role or are a small business owner.

As an example when I was out in the States I met a guy who had built up his IT services company and shifted more towards security in recent times. Anyways he started doing security blogs and local radio to push his brand as being the ‘security guy’.

He got to the level he was on TV commenting on the latest ransomware attack or IT security issue that the public would be concerned about.

The best bit was he showed me the TV interviews etc. and it he said the same thing over and over “make sure you have fully patched systems, Anti-Virus and a secure backup”! :)

Now even though the guy is very knowledgeable in IT security his brand (in my opinion) had got him to a place in which he could say the same thing over and over and get paid for it! Good for him I say – what he was saying was 100% true! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    JK2447 likes this.
  8. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Wow he's smashing it isn't he and I totally agree, working on your brand in this way can elevate you far beyond people who know more but keep their heads down in terms of reward and recognition. Well done getting in on that Sparky, I expect nothing less