Building a CCNA lab by Wendell Odom

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zimbo, Sep 27, 2008.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I been busy trying to try build a CCNA lab and Mr Odom gives lots of good advice - i would be glad to hear what people have to say about his recommendations if they suitable for CCNA!

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/24916

Split into 9 parts but all good reading! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thanks for the link mate. :thumbleft

What routers are you going for?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

switches im going for 2900xl - they seem to be fine for everything including VTP's so ill get atleast two of those - got one already off ebay for 20 quid!! :biggrin im also looking at 2950

then routers im looking at the 2600 series with two serial cards each if i can find enough cash ill get xm's but it seems 2600 series is fine then a 2500 for frame relay switch! its stupid how cisco use the 2960 for switching yet they way tooooo pricey for a study lab how you supposed to get hands on if you cant use the kit you need?

im in no rush for kit cause of my lack of time to study for it but just want to get my kit together slowly! 8)

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know what you mean! :cry:

I managed to get one 2600 router from my last job which my boss at the time said I could have when I was leaving, think he was feeling guilty about making me redundant!

There is a stack of old Cisco kit in the server room at work so I might see if some of it is useable. Like you I’m in no rush as the MS certs are taking up most of my time just now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well that lab series is quite good so give it a good read - then there is zeb's brain to pick - which is a gold mine and i want to thank him for all the advice with the routers and switches he has given me! 8)

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

picked up my first router last nite - £42 with delivery for a 2620 with IOS 12.4 - WIC-1T installed and 16mb flash and 64mb ram... bargin?

7. HMSPresident

HMSPresident Bit Poster

Doesn't sound too bad.. 12.4's definitely the one to go for, especially if it's the T variant that can run VPN, SDM (if you want CCNA Security), BGP if you want to go for CCNP.

Also, why not look at 1700's? A 1721 with enough flash and ram will also run 12.4.. Or if you're not bothered about VLANs on the FE interface, 1720's will also do the job.

Certifications: See sig..
    WIP: BCMSN