Buffalo TeraStation Pro TS-1.0TGL/R5 NAS WIFI LAN USB2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albertc30, Feb 26, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.

Has anyone got one of these? (Buffalo TeraStation Pro TS-1.0TGL/R5 NAS WIFI LAN USB2)

I am looking to buy some network storage and this sounds like a very good product however, this is being sold on eBay for £149.99 + £30.00 postage.

I am a bit adamant to purchase this unit as the items description reads 1TB (4x250GB) but the seller has sent me an e-mail assuring me that this unit can take any HDD size up to 1TB each, adding a total of 4TB.

How true is this in your experience?

I do want to buy one but as I need at least 2TB I would be gutted if this only takes up to 1TB all together.

Any comments appreciated.
    Cheers.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I own two of the newer version of these (TeraStation Pro 2's) and I did manage to update the disks, I should add tho that it's a long operation to do it.

I do want to say that I actually have an Edge10 NAS400 for sale atm, admittedly it's more expensive at a £200 starting price however it's a newer but more simple device from a management point (and it's easier upgrading the disks in it as the OS isn't stripped across the disks).

It offers the same functionality as the Terastation but also has the DLNA plug in available, it also does NFS which works quite well.

If you want to increase the capacity of the device I would suggest doing so before you actually put any data on it. The following are the way I upgraded the disks on mine.

Ensuring that no arrays are configured you need to replace disk 4 first, once replaced you need to power up the device and scan disk 4, it will format disk 4 and once complete it will show up as an available disk (it will also strip the OS to that disk). Once that's all online you need to power off and replace disk 3, rinse and repeat until you have replaced disk 1.

Once you have replaced disk 1 you can create your raid array (unfortunately all these devices are software only, not hardware based), once the array is configured you will have to wait a while for the array to be checked (we are talking 12 - 24 hours).

To give you an idea, I purchased 2 Terastation Pro 2's, these were 1TB versions. I recently upgraded them to 1.5tb drives and it took approx 10 days to build up and replicate the data across to both devices (I had been using all three of my NAS devices to share the data across 8 250gb and 4 750gb disks, now I use the 2 Terastations which is why the Edge10 is for sale). I actually only use one Terastation to put or get data from, the second is a sync slave of the master (and my backup).

If you have any more questions on these devices please let me know.

**Edit**

I should also add that these are now 2 generations old as the TS3 has been out for a few months now.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I just saw this at the bottom of the ebay add for that Terastation

My understanding was that the Buffalo boxes were NEVER sold without drives.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA