BT Users get cut off!!!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Mar 24, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok for those who are on BT for broadband you will want to either laugh or admit you have done this:

BT cut off users

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

My GF is on BT, and I pay for it.

Now a 2gb capped line was enough for us as I wasn't there all of the time, but she's now discovered Limewire, so I'm expecting one of those letters anytime soon! :biggrin

3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hehe...ooh...there will be some bad vibes this weekend I think...

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well we have a shared connection at my house, and i think we have a 30 gig limit , whioch isnt too bad really . But when theres a bit of rain or wind the line to our house is affected, then you ring BT up and tell them what it is , all they say its beyond out control etc blah blah , but they still know how to get the money out of the bank.

Does anyone now about wi max, or have any links i could follow. I hear its wireless etc , but within a 30 mile radius ????

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If the rain affects the line then check the phone part to see if there are crackles on the line during this time.

If so then use *that* as a complaint to BT. They will usualy go looking for the faulty joint then.

WiMax won't be with us for some time yet! And, being the cynic I am, I doubt it will work in quite the miraculous way touted by some journalists!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm with BT.
    What I don't understand is how I'm supposed to tell if I've been cut off?
    a semi-state of disconnection is their normal level of service so I might not notice when I slip from one to the other...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. zxspectrum

Well i wish wi max would hurry up. I long for the day where i dont have to share my net connection with anyone ,

8. hbroomhall

Er - ADSL cut or voice cut?

If ADSL most modems have a LED that shows if the connection is good. But it depends on what the problem actualy is. It might not be in the ADSL connection to your exchange, but elsewhere in the ATM cloud.

Harry.

9. hbroomhall

Er - WiMAX will definitely be a shared system AFAIK. What makes you think otherwise?

And the very nature of the 'net implies shareing everywhere!

Harry.

10. zxspectrum

sorry i should of specified a bit more lol. I was thinking that it would be possible for me to have my own ISP like people have now but with the advantage of not having to share with the likes of my landlady, IE own separate accounts . As at the mo you cant have 2 broadbands running at the samt time , or can you?

Im presuming it will go like that, i reckon that would be a good way to go

11. hbroomhall

You can't run 2 ADSL connections over one phone line - but why not put in another line?

Harry.

12. zxspectrum

Because im not too sure how long i will be here, as im trying to get back into uni in sept , i wont want to be paying the money im paying now when ill hardly have any income

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you can have 2 broadband connections...one over the phone and one via cable...like where I live I have Telewest, but if I wanted I could get another one over the phoneline with BT or someone like that...but I know what ADSL over the phone line is like...so am glad to have Blueyonder (telewest) so unless u live in the Cable area...then u can only have one ADSL connection...