BT turns up broadband speed dial

Discussion in 'News' started by GiddyG, Oct 5, 2011.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

BT turns up broadband speed dial

BT is to launch a fibre optic service that will deliver speeds of up to 300Mbps (megabits per second) to some UK homes by spring next year.

The service is only likely to be made available to a minority of people with others promised speed boosts of up to 80Mbps.

The UK government welcomed the news.

But broadband figures reveal the UK still has a long way to go to achieve its goal of being the fastest in Europe by 2015.

Full Story here

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. mojorisin
      mojorisin
      Would rather they concentrated on getting people upto 8mbps first :dry

I pay for "upto 8Mbps" and if im really lucky get 2mb usually about 1.8mb
      Fergal1982 likes this.
    2. dales
      dales

There I fixed it! :biggrin
      Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    3. Apexes
      Apexes
      BT are just playing catchup with Virgin Media, Virgin were offering 10mb over 3 years ago, and BT have only just got their claws into the fibre optic market.

With Virgin media already doing 100mbps now, it won't be long before that goes up, and if bt's fibre service is anything like the service through phone lines, it'll be terrible - i'll rate virgin media over and over again, never had problems with them and speed is always running at 9.5mbps+
    4. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      Nice one Dales! 8)
    5. Sparky
      Sparky
      Yup, can they not just get ADSL sorted first.....
    6. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      Same here. I wish they would focus all their energy on bringing the "Infinity" (Yeah right) service to the whole of the UK, rather than letting it fizzle out whilst they focus a new round of advancement on the same area's they upgraded last year.
    7. mojorisin
      mojorisin
      For me this is just headline grabbing stuff as most people will not see any difference my exchange wont be ADSL2+ until January next year

How about actually doing something rather than just talking about it all the time :cry:
    8. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Because they don't make any money from areas outside those with a large population density. This is why they continue to pump new technology at London, Manchester, Birmingham etc whilst the rest of the country has to put up with the ****ty copper that's been in the ground so long it was laid by Neanderthal man.
      GiddyG likes this.
    9. mojorisin
      mojorisin
      I just wish that Virgin would lay cable all over the country then we would have a real alternative to BT as every other provider still has to rely on BT and this is the downfall
    10. derkit
      derkit
      Unfortunately I'm in the "so-what" camp - apart from download speeds that probably won't be fully utilised, its just a hiding onto stream even more crap across the net. I agree with the others, get everyone, or at least 99.9% of people, on a good ADSL (or equivalent) connection then we can see if extra super bandwidth is actually worth the time and expense.