Problem BT Home HUB not connecting..

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Armchair Pimp, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

..right.. just spent a fruitless evening @ my dad's trying to get his new Windows 7 machine to connect to his BT HomeHub.. got my Xp laptop to connect straight away but have the following probs with the PC..

1. Connected Netgear PCi card into new Windows 7 machine.. Windows installed drivers.. wireless networks detected but signal strength average..
    2. Connected to BT Homehub using credentials from back of hub.. took opportunity to allow Windows to update wireless card drivers.. prompted for reboot
    3. After reboot BT Homehib will not always connect.. speed is slow as well (was much quicker on my laptop).. signal strength goes up and down as well..
    4. When Homehub will not connect and I try to force a manual connection it tells me that the network passkey is incorrect even though it's the same passkey I have used to connect successfully!!
    5. Connection drops out when it has connected even though signal strength has not..left with limited network access i.e. no internet..

Sorry for the ramble but it's all a little frustrating!

Sooo.. I'm suspecting a driver issue with the card? Anyone else got any suggestions?

EDIT: Noodling about a little is bringing me to think that the card may not work properly with Windows 7 64 BIT - but surely it wouldn't work at all? The card reports itself as working properly in Device Manager?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Do you have a CAT5 you can try? Always worth a shot to see if it works OK wired before wireless.
    What type of laptop is it? Was it pre-built from the shop or did you have to put it together yourself?
    I'm wondering about a hardware issue........

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I had a similar problem which I traced to nearby networks on the same channel. Have you checked that?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If it worked fine before windows updated the drivers then go back to the drivers you were using

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

The odd thing it now DOES connect ok.. just takes an age! I'm debating trying to change the channel but it only detects 2 networks in total.. all very odd.. it's almost like it doesn't like the way Windows 7 authenticates but is ok with Windows Xp...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Sorry for posting here but didnt really want to start a new thread when my problem is also with the BT home hub...

i am using XP sp3, installed everything as it said and it works fine when its wired but cannot for the life of me get it to connect wirelessly ( it does connect when i put it to an unsecured network) which i obviously dont want to keep it at that.

it has to be a security problem that i have missed, any ideas ppl....

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  7. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

does your dad's version of windows 7 have an XP mode? i haven't used 7 my self but i've heard that some versions have this function. it might be worth trying that to see if it works then you may be able to deduce that it's def a windows 7 fault. I may well be wrong as i'm not that experience and am only 1/2 way through my comptia course. couldn't hurt to try though. :-)

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon