BT home hub, adding a MAC address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bambino1506, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Hello fella's

Got a user who has ordered a BT home hub for his home tinternet, tomorrow I need to talk him through getting the MAC address of his laptop's NIC and adding it to the allowed list of the BT home hub.

Has anyone used home hubs before ? would appreciate any user friendly steps of adding the MAC address.

Thankyou please :biggrin

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

by default the home hub will allow any mac, you just need to enter the encryption key (found at the back of the hub)
    btw they'r configured VERY userfriendly :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Log in as Admin, go to Advanced (defaults u - admin p - admin), and go to Configuration -> Wireless -> Configure security, out of the boxes it will accept any mac like casper said but its only WEP (lovely) so there will be a little more configing to do so maybe the remote assist would be a better option.

Link check here to see what kind of options your up against, and on another note i had some problems with the channel auto select kept going to 1 so had to manually set it

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

it should pick up the mac address for you, you'll just need to add it to trusted connections

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys, got the guy to phone bt tech support in the end as it was going nowhere trying have him explain each option over the phone.

Appreciate the advice, will probally be getting more and more users with home hubs so this will be useful.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really?

For some reason my ears just pricked up... :twisted:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

zebulebu I just didnt want to say 'lame configured' :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  8. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

just out of interest are those BT home hubs any good as Ive heard bad reviews about them....

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA