BSOD "Bad Pool Caller / Header"

Discussion in 'Software' started by randomstu, Jan 31, 2006.

1. randomstu

randomstu New Member

Anyone have any idea what a Bad Pool Caller or Header is. Everytime i restart my computer, it just about boots to the desktop and then blue screens me with one of these messages.

I then reboot 5-10 times, each time it blue screens non-specifically before finally getting its act together and booting succeslfully.

Win Xphome sp2
    althon xp 2.2
    1G ram
    80GB

thank you

Certifications: None, Yet
    WIP: None, Yet
  2. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Have you tried safe mode and last known good?

If it's getting almost to the GUI it might be a driver or piece of software thats corrupt.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Last known good configuration will do no good in this instance because the computer has already been successfully booted a few times. Whatever, if anything, that changed in the registry has long since been written to the registry backups involved. These files are created anew every time the computer boots.

If there is an older backup of the registry that was made before the problem started that's another story altogether. It could be restored as it is written once and then saved, not re-written at each boot.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What Freddy said regarding LKG is absolutely correct.

When did this start happening?
    Have you loaded any software prior to this happening?
    Have you updated any video drivers or other drivers recently?
    Have you tried system restore?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. 808

808 Nibble Poster

same thing happened to my pc.in the end it turned out to be faulty ram.try running memtest for a couple of hours.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  6. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Ok I may not be correct here but does system restore not have a copy of the registry.
    you say 1GB of ram is it 1 stick i not try removing 1 at a time. And try the machine.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

System restore takes a snapshot of your system which includes system registry. The idea being if you make a restore point before installing a program can revert to how it was before being added should something go wrong.
    You can also manually back up the registry to a CDR, network drive or whatever else. As long as it isn't somewhere that can't be accessed when the system goes down!

As for the RAM, it could be 1 stick or 2 sticks of 512. You can either open the case up and see how many slots are vaccant, or use something like Belarc that will tell you which slots are occupied along with other very handy info.

Hope this helps

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. law123

law123 Byte Poster

So Boyce then he should be able to run System Restore to try the regestry to see if it is a corpupt driver. As you say it takes a snap shot it may work but I doubt it then again he may have it turned off as I do so it will be no go there.
    Yes I know the ram could posibly in 1 X IGB, 2 X 512MB or 4 X 256MB that is why I say remove one at a time if there is more than 1 stick if the ram is at suspect. Do you see my idea.
    It does sound like a driver problem I think.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+