Browsers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I know we've had this discussion in the past... We even had polls I believe. But with all the browsers coming out with new features and competing against one another today, what browser has won you over?

I know for me I've always been a FireFox guy, but for the last few months I've been using Chrome because I find it's just faster. I know FF has richer add-on community, etc.. but I don't use many add-ons and I can sacrifice the add-ons for the speed of Chrome. Reading more recent articles, looks like Chrome will be incorporating a lot more add-ons and will benefit you even more if you use GMail services.

Other browsers I've looked at were Opera, and IE 9. Don't like Safari at all or IE 8.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. RandyFears

RandyFears Bit Poster

I went a bit mad the last time i installed IE and chose just about every browser on the options to see what they were like. In the end i just stuck with my trusty firefox. I know the add-ons i am using and don't really feel i am missing out on not using any other browser :biggrin

Certifications: never enough
    WIP: so many and so little time
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

None of them do everything I want - which is f***ing annoying as I have to keep flippoing between them. Day to day I use Chrome more than FF now, but there are still a lot of sites that Chrome doesn't deal with properly, and Logmein doesn't work well at all under Chrome, which means it's impossible for me to ditch FF completely. I despise the instability and resource-hungriness of FF - it's been three years now since I last used a completely reliable Firefox build, and leaving it running for more than 24 hours always results in a crash. IE is just a pile of pants - it looks crap, and every new incarnation changes something about it that I used to like, seemingly just to try and play catch-up with another browser.

Then again, i am a miserable fecker :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Tried a ferw browsers myself and always find myself going back to IE (8 or 9 depending on machine) and Firefox.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

One thing I forgot to mention is that I find it really annoying how chrome handles book marks. In the end I end up with the iGoogle website as my default home page and all my bookmarks are synchronized there. It's a good thing a way I guess, because at any pc I would have access to the bookmarks, but annoying to access...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm an IE guy :ohmy:p:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I use Firefox at home and IE 8 at work.

Due to web dev work I do on the side I have Safari, Chrome, IE 7,8,9, Opera and Firefox installed. Some web apps work only in IE (Microsoft Content Management Server for example). But mostly the 2 stated above.

edit: And in case anyone is wondering, no I don't test anything I write under IE 6:D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

I use Firefox, together with Adblock Plus, NoScript, HTTPsEverywhere and Firefox Sync.
    For websites that work best with IE I also use IEtab :)

When something doesn't work right I also use Chrome...

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I just use IE. I don't have anything against the other browsers... IE simply does everything I need a browser to do. And it really doesn't cause me any problems.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I have used firefox for years and at this point it's probably mainly just because it is what I am used to using. I tried out chrome and I've used safari but never for very long. The only two I use on a regular basis are 90% firefox and probably around 10% IE. I don't have any problems with IE these days, I just like firefox better.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I use mainly IE8. Sometimes I need to use Firefox but like Zeb pointed out it seems to be going the way of bloatware. I also use Iron browser (based on the Chrome source code but with all the google spying code taken out) and sometimes XBBrowser.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I use Firefox 99% of the time. I find that yes it has a bit of bloat but then so does IE.

I think Opera is still fastest but don't really like it.

When I get sick of Firefox I use Chromium, Chrome but without the spyware.

Also have IE 9 beta, although don't like that either.

No point in Safari as its just another WebKit browser like Chrome/Chromium.

Firefox has the best plugins which I like and tends to be more standards compliant.

I also tried a lot of download accelerators, DNA, Internet Download Manager, FlashGet, etc, seems funny how bad the standard download support is in these browsers.

Oh and of course good old wget.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  13. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Chrome for me as I like the look of it and it has all the extensions I need (gmail and hotmail and xmarks) and an automatic spell checker which I like. I'm personally not bothered about speed as all browsers are about the same in my eyes. The only thing I would like to see with Chrome is to have permanently bookmark tab. I know you can sticky a tab with bookmarks on but it doesn't stop it from getting changed to a webpage (if that makes sense). Also use IE 8 when sites don't work with Chrome.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  14. michael78

Spyware?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  15. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Xmarks is about to be retired coming january. :(
    I switched to FF sync a while back.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

quoted from here

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Interesting... did not know that.

18. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i like fire fox but don't like the file down load set up. I'm not a fan of all these add on's. i like the security ones but not search engine ones or the google one that if you hover over any word you get a description of how many search results that word has - pointless.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  19. michael78

From what I gather they are going to be taken over but not sure if this is with a paid service or if it will continue to be free.

20. michael78

Didn't know that but to be honest it doesn't really bother me too much of what is on that list.