Browse internet through remote computer

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Stoney, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Morning,

If I remote desktop/ VNC into a remote computer across the internet, say from my work pc to my home pc, should I be able to browse the internet through the remote session on the remote computer?

Presently I can't and just wondered if this was the norm?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. laup

laup Byte Poster

Yes mate i do it all the time :>

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Cheers laup.

Soemthing's up with the host config me thinks :dry

4. laup

laup Byte Poster

Can u log into your remote computer?

If not do u have a router or firewall or any sort on your remote pc?
    Maybe if xp u havent ticked the lil box sayin allow remote connections ect?
    Work firewall blocked port 3389 maybe?

Loadsa things :>

If your remote pc (home) can access websites there no reason why if your remoted into it that it shouldnt work

5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I can log into the remote computer, but once i'm in I can't browse the web.

If I actually logged on locally to the pc (not through remote desktop) then internet access is fine.

I did wonder if the remote desktop session blocks any other sort of internet activity once established, but I know I can get on the web via remote sessions on our servers - although the setup is a lot different.

6. laup

laup Byte Poster

Which remote software u using ?

7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I'm using Remote Desktop on it's standard port.

I have noticed that I can access our work's SSL site so have been investigating any firewall restrictions on the http port. There doesn't appear to be any on the pc or the router so i'm a little stumped!

I have tried VNC but the outcome is the same.

8. laup

laup Byte Poster

thats really weird im outta ideas chap if i think of something else ill get back to u :>

9. philswindin

philswindin Bit Poster

Would only recommend MS RDP (Remote Desktop) if you use XP. VNC is opensource and has been hacked many times.

For RDP
    - Ensure you home router / firewall allows TCP 3389 (MS RDP) from an internet IP address to your home PC. Usually called port forwarding.
    - Ensure your work allows port TCP 3389 through its outbound firewall to the internet. So the firewall rules at work would mean
    - To prove the connection go to a command prompt and type the following command at work
    - On your home PC ensure you are have setup RDP.
    telnet [Your home internet IP address] 3389
    If you get a clear black screen on the above command the network / firewall config is ok and so you will be able to RDP.
    If you get a time out error there is something still wrong.
    Telnet is a good command we use in the enterprise to prove network connectivity which you are trying to do.
    - If you are using internet names to resolve IP addresses then ensure your work is setup for internet DNS resolution.

Security
    - Only allow your work internet IP address to use your home rule for port forwarding.
    - If your work is configuring their firewall for outbound TCP 3389 for the first time. Allow outbound access to your home IP only.

The above might look bafelling if you haven’t done this before but its not that hard. Send me a private message if you get stuck.

Good luck :biggrin

10. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi philswindin,

I'm not actually dialing into my home, that was just an example I used. I am dialing into one of our pc's at a customer site but the setup is the same. I'm in the office and the pc is connected to an ADSL line behind a router.

I can remote desktop in ok, it's just getting on the web through the remote machine. There is another pc connected to the same router that would have had a VPN connection running out at the time and I wonder if that had something to do with it. I know if I dial in via RDP and then connect the VPN on the host machine the RDP connection fails instantly.

Checking the firewalls on the pc and router I can't see anything that would be blocking Internet Explorer or http on port 80.

I may try when I know the other user is not connected.

Thanks for your input guys :thumbleft

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If I understand this correctly you are connecting to a pc over the internet via RDP. You the start a VPN session from this pc that you are connected to via RDP?

Why are you trying to start a VPN session from the remote pc? Of course this will disconnect your remote connection.

What happens when you connect to the internet without starting the VPN session?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yep,

Nope. I was just saying that I know if I start a VPN session from the remote pc the connection fails. THere is another remote pc connected to the same router as the remote pc I have RDP'd into and this would have had an active VPN connection running outbound. I was speculating as to whether this may have been interfering with the other remote pc.

I can't view any http web pages but I can view https. :blink