broadband to dial - up

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by AJ, Oct 21, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ok he's the gig guys. I want to be able to connect to our telephone system from home, just so that I don't have to travel 30 miles just to reset a phone (10 second job). This means using my cable connection to connect to it's modem. Question - HOW Don't really want to put a modem back into my pc. Just wondered if this can be done?

Cheers

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I presume the phone systems modem is attached to the PSTN and has it's own telephone number and answers it and accepts an incomming connection? That being the case I can't see how you can do it as BB is not able to make a PSTN connection and mimic a phone, unless anyone knows better.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

cant you manage it any other way?
    cant you vpn in via cable to your work network and just access it the same way you would via the LAN?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I was thinking something along the same lines as Phoenix, based on the little I know about our system at work. As far as I'm aware, our engineer just VPN's or RDP's into the controlling software as required.

Sorry, thats a bit vague and really of little help whatsoever :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Soz guys if it was that easy I'd have got the maintenance copany to set it up. Nope I want to dial into the switches modem using my BB connection, but from the sounds of it I can't do it. The phone system is completely seperate from the network for security reasons, in fact it's not even on my pc, I have to change rooms to do it (well until I rewire it aways).

Think this one have been answered, unledd anyone has anyother ideas.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

sorry mate
    its not likley to be doable then

im not entirely sure why its so seperate for 'security' reason, you could lock it down pretty tight anyway, and atleast have maintenance access

try using an external modem? that way you dont need it connected to your pc all the time, which might be nicer than shoving in a PCI Winmodem

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0