Broadband Supplier

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Fergal1982, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

hey guys.

Im moving flat at the end of this month, and have been looking into which ISP supplier to go with. I'd like (ideally) a 2Mbps connection, but im not sure where to go (obviously i dont want to spend a fortune to have it), and was just wondering if you guys had any ideas????

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

I've been with NTL Broadband since the first month they set
    it up, and have to say in over two years i've had one outage
    which lasted a whole night, so not too many problems.....

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  3. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

A few of my friends use Bulldog ADSL.

At the moment there running a 4mb Pay As You Go promotion.

4mb Pay as you go

and they also have a 2mb service at £40 a month

2mb Alltime

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Bulldog did get some bad press lately on the ADSL forums - not sure if they've resolved this....

Just my 2€-worth [​IMG]

btw - deff make sure your chosen ISP offer IPStream, as opposed to Datastream, Fergal

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

whats the difference????

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah im not to happy with bulldog recently, unfortunatly im stuck in for a 12 month haul, then its off to Zen or nildram

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Datastream - where an ISP puts it's own hardware, etc on BT's network. Generally less reliable, and slower to have faults fixed. Used to be cheaper, but not much in it now.

IPStream - your connected directly to BT's network infrastructure, less-contended, much faster to have faults resolved, and now pretty much even in price with Datastream

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ok are you sure thats the only difference? i didnt know that was it, if it was i would recommend datastream over IPstream any day, if it is as you say
    the ISPs who have unbundled the exchanges offer services unparalleled to BT, whereas anyone providing BT wholesale lines is limited to BT configuration (50:1 for home users, 256k upload, et all) the unbundled telcos have the ability to give you whatever they want! I know easynet unbundled exchanges at great cost to themselves, but they are capable of offering 8mb 1:1 adsl (very pricey ill admit) and there service has been second to none (far superior to BTs)

are you sure thats the only difference Jak? if it is then I have to say the unbundled ISPs offer far more choice and variety than a 'BT Wholesale reseller' which is what most ISPs are providing

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I was only giving the briefest summary of the generally accepted situation as it stood in my last job, Ryan, but as we all know, the ADSL market right now is pretty fast-moving, and changing on a regular basis.

What I posted above were bare technical facts about the services we dealt with, and are in no way intended to be a definitive guide to the differences between the two types of ADSL .

I have no probs with anyone elaborating, clarifying, or correcting me - please, feel free. [​IMG]

11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I got to ask the question why do you need 2Mb?

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I would have asked the same question as Phoenix Gav as I thought the same thing. but I have a 1Mb which costs me £26 a month and its Datastream...but at the moment its flamin contention I am having a problem with 50:1 at the mo...and for 20:1 it would cost another £20...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Guys - like I say, if I'm wrong, I stand corrected as always.

Cheers [​IMG]

14. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

Phoenix Wrote
    I thought 256k upload was the max reguardless of your bandwith ? so having a 4mb connection lets you download at 4mb but still only allows you to upload at 256k ? am I totaly wrong here ?

Certifications: mcp server2k
    WIP: Network Infrastructure
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well not quite syntax...have you been to the Bulldog site? if you live bang slap in the middle of London you can get an upload speed of upto 1Mb if I am right...but I maybe wrong...so dont qoute me on this guys...but check out the site and you will see more info on that...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life