Broadband Router connection to Domain Server

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Keith McMillan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Keith McMillan

Keith McMillan New Member

Hi
    I have Server 2003 connected as a typical server with AD, DHCP, Files, DNS as per the training book for CONTOSO. I need to enable the server to connect to broadband from a router supplied by Orange (Siemans router 100mbs). With the router inserted directly into the server's network card I tried to reach the address for the router which has it's own web page for setup, but I can't seem to connect to broadband like I can with my client computer. I tried via a Netgear switch as well which connects the server to client. Perhaps I should be adding a router address into the server DHCP somehow, but I'm not that advanced to know how to do this yet I need updates to the server and antivirus library somehow.

Maybe I can connect the server to broadband wirelessly using SP1? Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Keith

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I suspect the problem here is a clash of DHCP servers.

If you switch off the DHCP server in S2003 and tell it to get it's IP address automaticaly then I suspect this will work to get you online, but might not be what is required for other things.

Just what else is connected to this Server2003? And how?

And how does your client computer connect to anything?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Keith McMillan

Hi Harry
    The server is configured as a Microsoft Contoso.com lab which means File Server, DHCP, DNS, and Domain controller all on one PC. This is all done automatically when Typical Server role is selected. The client is connected to the server via a fast ethernet switch. The client can also connect to broadband via a small router to it's RJ45 or wirelessly via the same router instead. To connect the client to my new network I have to take out the broadband connection from the RJ45 and plug in a cable to the network switch.

Apart from all that the only other thing I know to mention is there is an address pool in DHCP from 192.168.0.10 to 0.254.

I've just upgraded the server to sp1 for wireless but still cannot even get a wireless connection, maybe because the drivers included in 2003 are basic.

Do I need to add a another network card in the server to reach broadband?

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You need to manually configure your servers IP address, servers should have a *static* IP address. It should be in the same range as your routers IP address and your routers address should be the *default gateway* and the DNS server should be your servers IP.

Now you do have a problem here because your server is a DHCP server and your router is also a DHCP server so you should switch off DHCP in your router and let your server handle the IP leasing.

Also, DNS queries are being handled for local name resolution by your server, which is at the moment unable to contact any Internet DNS servers for name resolution. So, you need to enter your ISP's DNS servers or the DNS servers of your choice as forwarders in the DNS server properties. You may also be able to put your routers IP address in as a DNS forwarder.

All clients should be leased a dynamic IP from your DHCP server that has your router as the default gateway and your server as the DNS server. this is necessary as local name resolution (DNS) is handled by your server.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Keith McMillan

Thanks for that. These servers are much harder to connect than I thought. Yes the router is a DHCP which I was unprepared to expect. And now DNS comes into the equation as well. I thought they were made to make life simpler.:blink but apparently not for technicians. I'll give this a go whilst holding my breath for deep water. See you when I surface.Thanks.