Broadband Problem

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by supernova, Aug 21, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I recently repaired a friends PC , complete reinstall.

When i brought it back he told me that he'd had problems with broadband, before i took the PC, so i said i'll look into it by setting it up for him at the same time.

the problem is that once you disconnect from the broadband connection you have to wait N mins before you reconnect (also seems to be intermittent ).

Once connected everything works fine.

Problem is only the authentication when logging on after disconnecting, it says the correct password and username are no longer correct.

Okay so the problem isnt a big deal but i would like to resolve it.

system is..

windows xp sp3
    orange broadband (yeah okay crap isp)
    standard USB speedtouch adsl modem (yeah not the best)

I have done the following...

checked cabling (seems okay)
    checked microfilters (okay)
    check other telecoms devices in relation to adsl equipment and filters (fine no misplaced phones etc)
    latest speedtouch drivers (fine)
    all service packs and updates are up-to-date as of thismorning

anyideas?

Andrew

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Try a different router mate.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

What do you mean you have to wait? as in, it doesn't connect for 10 mins or so? it gives you a countdown box?

Tried switching the modem around? could be the modem locking up as they do, I have to reset my router and modem occasionally when my net grinds to a halt.

could be a very very busy line.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I agree with Craigie, try a different modem/router.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. supernova

no,

Lets say your connected, you go to the icon in the notification area and disconnect.
    now you go to reconnect again, you'll get incorrect username and password on each attempt.
    wait a while and try again and it will work.

I have powered it all down and it does it even after 50 secs, connect , disconnect, reconnect. yet sometimes its fine.

not sure on that one, i would have thought bandwidth would have been affected

yeah its a pain i dont have one with me. didnt think i would be doing this should be having a beer instead.
    looks like i'll have to pop back

i am sure the problem is external to the building, just dont have away of checking at the moment.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

sounds a bit like the orange radius boxes (or whatever they have) are holding the user account open for a while before tearing it down. Or could just be the usb modem is taking a stupid amount of time to train when its switched on.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. supernova

thats what i am thinking, yes it is radius used for authentication on BT IPSTREAM.

any diag tools to confirm this? .... i found one but its in german, speedtouch diag tool doesnt give enough information

the problem isn't restricted to powering up the modem, does the same when left powered

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ring the ISP, they are the ones offering the service. It also sounds to me like it's their end slow to disconnect the session. So you can't re-connect until their end has dropped the session.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)