Broadband is my sleepy village

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Sandy, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

Broadband is reaching the sleepy village I live in next month and I'd like some pointers about what bits of hardware I need to add. I keep seeing things like routers and microfilters mentioned and am a tad confused. Is it worth buying a router from my ISP or get a small CISCO router (I understand them) from e-bay?

My plan is to start off with just a Windows 2000 PC connected but over time I am planning a small network a server or two (maybe physial or virtual running Microsoft and/or Linux) and a couple of PC's.

Thanks in advance

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

The question I would first of all ask Sandy who is your ISP going to be? how much are you willing to pay? also were you thinking of wireless networking or cabled? and in terms of microfilters these babies are essential...so my next question would be what type of setup do you have in your house in terms of telephone connections...in other words how many phones do you have, do u use any ext cables or boxes if so how many? In my experience I would say it would be better you went for a router modem...preferrably from Netgear...if you look here you will be amazed at their products...let me know what you think...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Sandy,

My village got broadband the week before last and I had it installed last week, the difference is amazing :D Have you chosen an ISP? if not then I can highly recommend http://www.eclipse.net.uk from my experience so far the service has been excellent and I love the flex feature where you can boost the speed to 1mb whenever you need it.

As far as equipment is concerned I just bought myself a wireless router which came with a filter. At least with wireless you don't need to worry about laying cables, just slap a wireless nic in any PC you wish to connect. You can pick them up for about £20 depending on make and model.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Phil has a point there Sandy...but if you want really fast speeds (providing your not too far from your exchange) for really low prices go to www.cpbb.co.uk you wont be disappointed. I use them for 1Meg and last week I even solved their connection problem:biggrin

5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

They're cheap! I'm paying £23.99 for 512k and 9p per four that I flex up to 1mb

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Aye but Phil...I'm paying £27 for a 1Meg connection so if you added your 9p per hour for the 1Meg just think how much that will total upto for the year...works out just a tad more mate depending on how you use it

7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Sorry that came across wrong, I meant your ISP was cheap in comparison to mine :)

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:blink oops my mistake...sorry mate...:biggrin

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm using http://www.plus.net for may 1/2 meg connection and for the price or £21.99 and the webspace+extras I really cant complain. I think they are great.

As for routers I use the US Robotics 9003 router and my only complaint it that the user interface is not the best it could be and setting up things like port forwarding can be a pain compared to other routers like Dlink or netgear.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hee hee, I'm next in line for ADSL - my town gets enabled next week [​IMG]

So I'm following the advice on this closely. Only thing is, what will I do for Technical Support [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Guys

I have been out and about so have taken a while to get back. Phil I have been using Eclipse for about 10 years and always had good service. I am thinking of 512 flexing up to 1024 I'm not into mega music downloads but like the idea of being able to up the tempo if I need it.

The network will be wire - for a number of reasons

a) Security. Work won't allow any wireless connections and I will be using it for work from time to time

b) Radio/Mobile Phone radiation. We have a toddler in the house and I am not keen that there will be yet another source on radiation. I am not a fan of the mobile phone and have read a lot of research about the radiation link

c) What does a microfilter do?

d) Phones we currently have two landlines in the house

e) What do you guys do about e-mail and profiles? I run the PC with several profiles this allows the domestic goddess to collect her's and the chief washer upper to collect his - the the fullness of time the little person to collect hers. So far nobody has been able to tell me how they do this.

I am sure more will follow

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

c) What does a microfilter do?

It splits the digital ADSL frequencies from the analogue voice signal on your phone line - thus allowing voice and data simultaneously.

d) Phones we currently have two landlines in the house

Handy - do you plan to use one of them as a dedicated ADSL line ? Useful if you have any digital phones, fax, Sky digital box or alarm systems on your phone line. If you do, put the ADSL on the other line to avoid any signal interference.

e) What do you guys do about e-mail and profiles?

Why not just use Identities in Outlook (or Express) and create User accounts for each person that will use your PC(s) ?

HTH Sandy :)

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Jak has made a valid point for you Sandy. In terms of the filters and how many phones you have...if you do have 2 seperate phone numbers this will come in handy cos you only need one filter and leave other as it is. however if you have more than one phone on a number and you have sockets situated in different rooms make sure you have a filter in every socket first then the phones. however if using any ext cables put the ext cables into the sockets before using filters. if you do have Sky, Fax, digital phones like Jak says be careful as they can cause signal interference. if you have any other probs just leave a note and I'll do me best to help.

14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Guys

Back from my sick bed...

I need some clarification Eclipse are saying that I'll need Exchange to sort my mail as a Outlook poll will pull all my mail from my inbox:!: I have 2 dial up accounts to get over this problem. Does anybody have any ideas about how to run a W2K machine with 2 profiles and collect mail for each one:?:

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I dont use Win2K...but I do use Outlook Express for my email...except I get mine from Hotmail. I do have an email with my ISP but I dont use it at all. Are you wanting to use outlook to collect both emails at the same time or using one email for each profile? It sounds confusing but you may need to elaborate a bit more mate. I have never used Exchange so I wont know what that does.

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Totally agree - why on earth would any ISP require you to have an Exchange server (in your home ??? :blink ) just to download email ?

Our email systems are both pop3 and web-based - it's entirely up to the EUs how they access their accounts. Bizarre .....

17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Sandy are you saying that you wish to collect two different email aliases from the same pop3 account and how can you collect one set of emails in one user profile without collecting the others email. You can achieve this in outlook express with message rules but I'm not sure about outlook.

With my email I can create separate account aliases with my ISP and retrieve them using a separate user name and password for the pop3 server. If your ISP are saying you cant do this and you need to provide your own mail sorting method then you will need something that does the same job as exchange or maybe some message rules in outlook to only retrieve the correct mail.

HTH
    Si

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Certainly in Outlook Express, you can set up separate identities, then configure each to only pick up mail from the relevant email account. Like Si says, it would a bit trickier in Outlook, as I don't think it gives you the identities feature.

19. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Aren't the identities in outlook express for multiple users in the same user profile?

The problem I'm guessing Sandy has is that all his mail for his domain is routed and collected into one default pop3 mailbox.

So [email protected] is all collected at the same time but Sandy would like to be able to only collect the mail for a given alias when logged into the PC as that alias.

Lets say user1 and user2 both use the same PC, when user1 logs into the PC with their windows profile they only want their mail and to leave user2's mail on the server. As all the mail is stored in the same mailbox this cant be done without either a mail sorting program such as exchange.

In outlook express you can create a message rule that will leave mail on the server if it is not for that user but I don't think you can do that in outlook.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, I'm just not sure if I'm trying to solve the right problem here. :blink

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I go with you on that one Si - maybe my option wasn't the best solution (if at all). :D