British Computer Society Supporter Question

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by hippy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Does the supporter get asked to fill out a massive document or is it a 'yes this person worked here and i confirm his experience' ?

Cheers,

2. ianconscious

ianconscious Bit Poster

I've nothing constructive to ad unfortunately, but I'd be interested in knowing the answer to your question as I'm considering joining. Does the supporter need to be an existing BCS member?

Certifications: MCSE; MCITP; CCA, etc.
    WIP: JNCIS-FWV
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have just joined as an assoicate and at that level there was no supporter check as far as I am aware, other then that guys I can't help you.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

It depends what you're applying for.

Normally another BCS member is preferred - members can also nominate people to become members (i.e. MBCS) and there is a sort of "pre-approved" application process for this.

If you're talking about CITP (Chartered status) then the supporter does not have to be a Member (mine wasn't) but it has to be a person of appropriate standing who can verify what you're saying.

So, what level of membership are you applying for ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Just checked the Associate (AMBS) application form online and it says :

bcsambssupp.jpg

HTH

6. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Yer thats the bit I mean just wondered if the supporter is asked to fill out a big form or do they have a yes/no situation?

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Ah right, I see what you mean i.e. you want to know what the supporter has to fill out.

No, it's pretty short. Three or four lines from memory just asking them to confirm what you've done. Easiest way is to have a chat with your supporter so you agree what goes down. The supporter may get a telephone interview (short) to confirm it so make sure it's accurate.

Again, will depend on what level you're applying for and what certs etc you already have.

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

On the application form, you put down your supporter. My supporter was contacted to double check number of years I've worked in IT and, if I recall correctly, my work. That was for AMBCS & the MBCS level's. For CITP level, you are required to have 2 supporters that can validate your work to at least SFiA level 5.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

My app in October last year only required one supporter and he wasn't telephoned, just asked to complete a short 3 or 4 lines to confirm my consultancy work for his company.

10. Kitkatninja

Wow... When I applied for my CITP, you needed two supporters and each one of them had to give written support that covered about one side of A4 (added to that they could be interviewed as well), plus I had to go thru an interview, plus submit my certs/quals/CPD, all my evidence, etc...

Which version of the SFiA where you measured against?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the responses! Im applying for the MBCS level and just wanted to check what i asked my manager to fill in.

12. Kitkatninja

Cool, glad you're becoming a member. Let us know how you get on :)

-ken

13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Maybe it was because I had run a company ? My submitted evidence is on here in a thread somewhere. It was for SFIAPlus Level 5 or above.