BRITISH COMPUTER SOCIETY - CITP

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by fatp, Mar 30, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi again folks.

Me again talkin about certs and the usual stuff! Obviously every1 here has heard of the MS, Cisco, Comptia etc exams but has anyone heard of the Chartered IT Professional accreditation from the ( British Comp Society (BCS) ?

Whats it all about?
    Is it worth having?
    Why does it take 10 years to achieve (apparently with a bsc degree it takes less)?
    does any of the more 'senior' people on this forum have one?

Fat P - Cheers

::)

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes I have it, means very little to me, like all this stuff whats important is what it represents, 10 years quality experience is worth more than any cert, badge, logo, title etc :D

Unfortunately as you kind of indicate its possible to get with 10 years bad experience, or maybe a bit less and a degree or a couple BCS exams. If I remember correctly if you are part of an approved degree program or work from an approved company you get extra credit and a few years off, I've worked for companies on the approved list that were useless and ones that weren't that were excellent so again does not prove much. So again I'm not sure it really does prove anything, but I figure the more ammo the better, every little piece of evidence you can give employers that you are indeed the real deal helps.

3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

One of the (I believe) fundamental things about the BCS, at any level of membership, is the agreement to abide by their code of conduct. Its supposed to indicate that you are professional in your activities.

Theres also the social networking side of it, with regular meetings.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Maybe you should join the BCS first, then find out what they're about. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im a member, and its worth it, just for the monthly meetings/seminars i get to go to.

i think its more benefit to those in London as most of the activity seems to be down there but i think its decent value.

Also they have a recruitment site and other useful things, but id start off with an associate membership just to see what they offer.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've heard of them and I've summited my application for the CITP two weeks ago. Getting Chartered Status means different things to different people. Like dmarsh26 said

The process requires you to have worked in IT, not only for 5-10 years (depending on your personal/work circumstances) but also that you have met level 5 of the SFIA, plus 2 references that can validate your work.

In my planned career progress, I believe it will make a difference - but again this is down to individual thinking.

Like Mathematix said:

Have a go, if you feel like it's worth it - go for it. If you do not see a benefit for you, don't.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I think the CEng is slightly more useful, tends to get requested in europe apparently, although you'd have to ask someone a little more european to be sure ! :biggrin

I also think the ACM and IEEE are more recognised for their publications and conferences and probably more use if you are really into your research.

The BCS seems to be more for padding CV's and networking than anything else as far as I can tell.

Lastly for contractors theres the PCG...

Thats exactly my point, anyone with a few years experience and a couple of references can get it, its no more infallible than any other system.

I've never seen any job require CITP status, it is currently nowhere near chartered status in other professions.

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's true, however it does seem to be slowly gaining recognition. The IET are in talks with the BCS with issuing the CITP and the NPA in the US already accept the CITP. I would have loved to go for IEng status (wouldn't have qualified for the CEng as I do not have my Masters), but according to the Engineering Council, I would not qualify as my degree (BSc Computing) is not recognised (Engineering Council approved) even though it's a BSc from a recognised University in the UK, go figure :blink

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My degree was not approved either, it generally has to be a bog standard course at a red brick university. With my degree you'd be talking 15+ years, for most of my career I would be ranked lower than most due to this fact and the fact I preferred working for smaller companies which are not BCS approved either. The two together make a substantial difference to progression. Therefore it took me 10 years to get CITP where for others it might take 5, even though I probably still knew more than them when I was at 5 years !

Once you have ten years experience you can apply for any or all of CITP,CEng/IEng and CSci depending on your preference as long as you have taken part on suitable projects. You merely need to submit an essay on the project/s in question.

I've known BCS fellows who were far from remarkable and made some pretty dubious design decisions...

Look at it as a long service medal, thats the way I see it, it bears very little resemblance to anything else.

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This discussion has really opened my eyes about the BCS as I was looking at becoming a member a few years back. Well guess its not all gloomy then:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's good to hear the feedback of what the more experienced members of the forum have to say about the BCS.

I appreciate the CITP is not as highly regarded as the CEng, but I hope it can go from strength to strength for the good of the profession.

With my scant IT experience, I am only an Associate member - but that's a plus, considering our network manager decided the BCS was full of old grumpy men with beards and attitude problems. Appears I don't meet their official criteria, so I'm proud they let me in! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think the BCS is a crock. College football should have a playoff system, by God! :x

:p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Cheers for all the advice guys.
    Some good and some bad as per usual!