British Computer Society - Benefits?

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by onoski, Jul 9, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I have just received an e-mail in my inbox inviting me to sign on with the British computer society as a member and start getting benefits like recognition career wise and discounts on training etc.

Please, does any know if they do give discounts on the MS cert exams or Cisco? Thanks in advance as I am considering joining if its worth the hassle.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

They offer anywhere from 10-15% discount from various training companies, will PM you with details.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Ken
    Can you PM me aswell please with the details.
    Thanks

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Brilliant thanks, Ken:) I would get my enrollment going with them then.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've been an AMBCS with the BCS for about 3 years now, and although I'm eligiable to go up to MBCS I simply havent seen any advantages in doing so yet.

I joined mainly so that I can say that I agree to be a professional, and work to professional standards, but since I don't take part in any of their groups or activities I often wonder if its worth me staying in.

I do get a nice shiney magazine every couple of months which makes decent reading. :biggrin

6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I usually go to a monthly seminar discussing a range of topics, so far had disaster recovery, windows 2008 server, backup, open source topics and more, so to me its been interesting.

You also get access to a website and jobsite, as well as i got an email saying i had free legal representation with a company as part of a benefit, not checked into that yet.

But i think professional memberships do look good on CVs, and they do do some certifications which apparently are well recognised.

Might be worth doing AMBCS first just to get a feel for it.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Ken,

Would you mind PM'ing me the details as well please.

Many Thanks

Craig

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Kitkatninja

I do like the membership, but that's a personal feeling. I don't take advantage of alot of their things, but then again the main reason why I joined was for my pathway for Chartered status & because I agree with their vision to build IT as a proper recognised profession. Their new free legal thing is great news, just in case I need it one day :twisted:

They do offer alot of recognised certifications, however some of them you can self study and sit the exam with Exin (thru Vue & Prometric) instead of with the BCS/ISEB, this includes ITIL v3 Foundation and V2, ISO/IEC 20000 and others. But then again for some exams you have to sit the course and the BCS does offer good value.

Joining a professional association is a two way thing, from the associations point of view they get their supporter numbers up, they get their annual membership fee, etc. From an individual's point of view, they should feel support in their career. This can include access to prefered job sites, networking opportunities, professional upgrade paths (if one want to do it, eg AMBCS, MBCS, CITP, Fellow, etc), continuing professional development (CPD), etc.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yep I joined them a few weeks ago a an MBCS and am still exploring the advantages of being a member (snigger). I particlarly like the once monthly meeting in a nearby towns pub, sounds like a good way to expand my horizons!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks all as I would be joining the BCS as an MBCS as this fits my job experience and profile:).

11. Kitkatninja

That's good, wonder how many of us it would take to actually form a "Certforums Specialty group" dealing with IT Professional certifications outside the ISEB/BCS remit within the BCS :biggrin

-Ken

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I might consider this too :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Interesting that this thread has came up, I just received info on membership in the post and am thinking of joining.

Does anyone have Chartered status, and if so what was the process like?

I'm hoping that I have enough experience to join at that level (9 years in IT, 3 years management)

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  14. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Was a grduate member of the BCS up to about 7 years ago. Gave up on it when I realised that they completely ignored games development. Nothing they do currently has any relevance whatsoever. :(

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would have taught that would have been the opposite, anyway did you inquire as to why that is as the games industry is very much IT programming etc.

16. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I just searched the BCS website for "gaming" and turned up this amongst other bits :

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conEvent.1245

Maybe you should re-visit ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  17. Mathematix

Um... just testing. :oops:

That is still a very poor show, regardless. For instance I'll be going to a Serious Games event in London showcasing a load of technologies relevant to games development which the BCS offering will not give.

18. Kitkatninja

I do, got awarded the CITP this year :biggrin The process was pretty straight forward, the hardest thing is to to map your experiences and qualifications (I think) to level 5, at least, to the SFIA.

The BCS has a section on the Games industry, see here.

-ken

19. Mathematix

Still doesn't cut the mustard - especially for pros.

20. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Mathematix, what would cut the mustard for you then in terms of the BCS doing more on the games front side of things? :)