Brand spanking new member in need of some advice!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Garrett29, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Garrett29

Garrett29 New Member

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of going for the A+ certificate. I have got the Myers A+ all in one guide to certification as well as the PC Technician street smarts which I am getting to grips with.

I have read through numerous posts on here about how to get into IT and a lot of the response is to go into entry level help desk. I have had jobs in call centres and they have put me off the idea of a help desk job. However I really enjoy building systems and repairing systems, can anyone give me advice on what the best path would be to get into this area and what career progression this can involve. Also, am I wrong to dismiss Help desk so easily?

I do not have any IT work experience apart from what I do at home and for family and friends.

I would love to get into IT and have been hoping so for some time, I am at an age where I feel I am going nowhere job wise and I would like to apply myself in something that I enjoy doing.

Any advice from you helpful people would really help me figure out the next step in relation to what I should be concentrating on in the study material I have.

PEACE OUT :biggrin

WIP: Comptia A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Why not go round the local repair shops and offer your help - on a volunteer basis if need be?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes a local repair shop will give you great experience instead of help desk type job. welcome to CF enjoy your stay!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

hate to say it, but Help desk is where the 99.9% majority start to cut there teeth in IT, this is a great training ground as users will bring you issues that you wouldnt have dreamt of happening so you will become a great researcher, a good tech and will learn a whole lot more than just building PCs.

I think that PC build isnt that a lucrative market and most shop owners will probably build them themselves so may not need the help, not to say it isnt worth asking, but i wouldnt pin all you hopes on this.

Maybe instead of call centre work (which i hate as well) you should look for a onsite 1st role which may be more enjoyable.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Good stuff already been posted, I do agree with Kevicho, I don't think you should rule out a helpdesk job, you'll gain experience of what information you have to gather to diagnose faults, you'll become more comfortable discussing tecnical issues with higher tier support teams and end users and gain a wealth of knowledge on what to spot to prevent and quickly resolve issues. Also you can impress with your skills and progress inhouse to higher tier support teams!

if you have done call centres selling stuff or taking insurance policys or the like, it's likey to be different to helpdesk centres....but you'll still have the call centre experience to show in any interview you go for!...

Good luck with your studies and employment!!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff