Brain training

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Does anyone use brain training techniques such as suduko or crosswords, or play games such as scrabble to help train their brain either for fun or to help with their job / revision?

Sad, but I have been using the brain training software on DS Lite for months now (since last Christmas). Also been doing puzzler exercises and playing certain games that require you to use your brain, such as scrabble, more frequently - starting to really enjoy it and, have noticed a vast improvement in general 'brain duties' such as remembering things I need to get done (though that doesn't mean they get done - still like to procrastinate) ..recently noticed that I can work out what change I need etc before a shop attendant hands it over (could do it as a child but my brain got 'lazy' over the years and wasn't so hot at that type of thing)...

...so if you do 'brain train' what are your techniques and do you 'up' the training before a special event such as an exam?...do you find that your brain is getting more 'conditioned' or just remains at a kind of plateau...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I love playing Scrabble but I'm not very good. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Teebor

Teebor Nibble Poster

haha great one :)

I used that Nintendo brain training thing for a while but got bored of it, maybe I should have another go at it again and see if it has made a difference

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA, CCNA, Coupla MCP's
    WIP: CCNP BCMSN, CVOICE, ITIL
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Usually when you feel you're not very good at something it means that you've recognised its potential and are on the way to getting very good!

Scrabble is surprisingly fun! I love it when you get a good layout going and there are loads of words along-side words...and more words branching off of those :D

5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol. Problem with it though is the actual brain test is cr$p - some of it is fluke and you get a really easy set of questions/problems within the test - esp if you cheat and use the setting where you can choose what tests it gives you... I think the real test is to stick at the training for a few weeks/ months...and then see if you notice a difference in every day activities involving your brain!

6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I had a DS for a while and had both brain training games 1 and 2. I too noticed an improvement after a month and did every sodoku puzzle on them , even the hard ones. But then i got bored so i sold it on ebay. Shame because at times i miss it, mainly when im waiting on the train or going for a check up. Some games for the DS however use the stylus when they really dont need to. I bought zelda, phantom hour glass and you had to use the stylus to move the little fella around, which was a pain in the arse.

And also since i started using brain train i noticed my typing getting faster and that a lot of the times now i can just look at the screen instead of lookingb at the keyboard, dont know if thats a direct result of brain train, but there you go

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Isn't it just!! I got that for it last Christmas also...and still haven't finished it because it is such a painful process to play!!

8. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I don't use any brain training software or anything but I do like to do sudoku when its in the paper and see how fast I can do it, I also like in one of the papers lately they have 3 maths trails to do in your head, I like doing them too and trying to do them in the time.

I also do the change trick at the till although I usually pay with my card so I have to add the items up quick instead lol.

At the end of the day I think it helps to keep your mind a little more on the ball, its amazing how much it slips when you leave full time education.

WIP: A+
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol

Yas...definitely!

10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I do. I use a special website like www.neurocampus.nl. You will get a number off methodes to keep the grey matter sharp. sections are language, math, logic problems and stuff like that. They have three levels and reset the score and puzzles every 3 months. Unfortunately for you it is in Dutch.
    I do sudoku, cross-word, cryptograms and what have you.
    I love doing (complex) multiplications without the use of any aid like calculator, pencil or paper (just my brain).
    I calculate the day of the week for every date from jan the 1 1900 up to dec the 31 2099.
    I also like foreign languages.

No, I am not Idiot Savant or autistic and certainly not crazy

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

We know you're not any of those :)

That site looks fun....now I just got to go figure how to read Dutch :hhhmmm :biggrin

Do you use any particular methods to remember things - such as making up a story to include facts / figures?

You are certainly good at English - picked up joking / sarcasm really well which is something a lot of people find hard to do as not all languages include it (or so I'm told - not sure how accurate that is?...I only speak English...and a little German...and a tinsy bit of French and Italian - but not enough to get by on)

So what other languages do you speak? I bet that's excellent 'brain training' in itself (learning and using different languages)

12. Tinus1959

A lot of questions. Where to start :biggrin

The page is in Dutch, but the puzzles are more or less universal except for the language type things. Surely the logic puzzles, the math puzzles and the perseption puzzles can be done without knowledge of the language. Just give it a try.

I use no specific ways to remember things most of the time. I just remember them. I am blessed with a very good memory. At university I knew not only the answer, I also knew almost exsactly where it was explained on the page. I never made homework but still passed most tests with very good marks. I graduated just below cum laude.
    Did I say blessed? Believe me it is not a blessing. Some people call me a know-all and a wise guy, the problem is I am, literally. I just know, the other guys know everything better:biggrin.
    Do you have an encyclopedia? Did you read it?
    I have 5 encyclopedia and I have read 4 of them.
    You know this British quiz called the eggheads? Even if the questions are mostly focused to the UK I can answer most of them. The same with the weakest link.

For my languages: I speak Dutch, English, German, enough French and Polish to survive. I made a start with Gaelic (but stopped) and am working on Japanese now (if I could only find the time). After that Swahili, Hindi are on my list.

I am trying to be a show-off:blink

13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

erm yeah...that you are! :twisted: :D :p

*i'm not jealous...I'm not jealous...I'm noooot*

14. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I know id be showing off it i knew so many languages too :)

Certifications: A+, N+
  15. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I try and play chess as much as I can, I find that good for giving my head a work out. I'm not that good at it but I'm getting there!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  16. Tinus1959

Sh*t, missed the word 'not'. I am NOT trying to be a show-off.

Sorry.

17. Tinus1959

It is not that difficult. If you know let's say Italian, French, Spanish are not so hard. Dutch, German and English are very much alike as are the scandinavian languages. Russian, Polish, Georgian and so are all in one family. That's why I had problems with Gaelic: it did not sound like a language I know.

By the way, Japanese is like learning math: If you know the inclination of one word, you know them all. They have very few exceptions.

18. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well you should (show off). Like asje1 (asje1, can that be shortened to something? Bit of a mouthful...would say 'aj' but we already have one...a1??) said:

19. Tinus1959

Showing off is in my eyes like saying "I'm better then you are". I am not better, just different. I can not boil an egg so to say. I lost the notes to boil water.
    I can not sew a button on my shirt. If you can do this all, that does not make you better, just different.

20. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Fair enough - point taken...

still think you're entitled to show off once in a while though! Te hee