Brain dumps

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Oct 1, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Could someone please give me clarification on the term brain dump. I have an idea but id like to be sure. The reason im asking is that ive just got into uni and the tutor was on about practise test papers , the that got me thinking is that brain dumping????:rolleyes:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13021

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Oh no!:ohmy

Not another thread on Brain Dumping:(

I 'don't know why they call it brain dump? Maybe Brain Dead would be a better description of the people who use them!:biggrin 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm sorry UCM but just recently we have been having this very conversation with the rest of the mods, generated by me. What constitiutes a BD and how do we know what is a BD and what doesn't? It is a very fine line between the 2.

SGUK asked the question HERE.

Whilst there may be no official list of BD sites, I feel you and the rest of the members must really leave it to the staff to identify BD sites and if we miss any, to bring it to our attansion ASAP.

I hope that helps. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I would encourage everyone to make their own ethical decision on braindumping.

I don't smoke, but I wouldn't start a thread about the evils of smoking and criticising all the poeple who do.

I know a number of extremely talented IT people, and was quite surprised to find out that some of them were braindumpers.

The logic goes something like this - if you are a freelance or contracted IT professional, you obviously need to know what you are doing, I'm not disputing that. But, your next job could depend on you having the right cert on your CV.

These guys don't want to spend weeks or months cramming for an exam, they just need to get through the latest version and keep their CV up to date.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I can see a place for it.

Where it is fundamentally wrong though is when someone uses it as a substitute for ability. If you know nothing about the subject and think that braindumping through the exams makes you something then think again.

Take my advice, do a Google image search for an MCSE certificate, photoshop it to include your name and stick it on your wall. It's quicker and will save you cash.

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The rules in Uni can be different. One of the ways it is different is that each year a new paper is set. It *might* contain the odd question from previous years, or it might not. The result is that old papers are not so 'secret', and are often used as practise papers.

It used to be that 'A' levels were like this, I did quite a few practise exams on old papers.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The way I see it, it is like someone who buys a fake Rolex (substitiute fake designer jeans or a badge for your car that says 'turbo' when it isn't - whatever).

They may buy it to impress others, or to make it look like they have money. Actually, all they actually have is a rather inferior watch.

The point is, the only person who knows its a fake is the person wearing it. How can that make them feel good about themselves?

And of course, if they try and value or sell it, other people will spot it from a mile off.

Me? I've got USB rechargeable batteries, so I don't care.

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Hold on there JonnyMX,

Have you read the thread by SGUK?

Unless I am getting hold of the wrong end of the stick (Thanks to Baba for pointing that out in a earlier thread:oops: )

There is no guarantee that Brain Dumps will give you a cert.

So going back to your question about the time span of a IT pro who need ths next cert quickly for a job. If they spend money on the BD and fail because those questions did not come up in the exam, wouldn't you feel ripped off?

Is it not the same chance as learning the material by yourself then relying on strangers information that these are the correct questions/answers of the exam you are sitting?:blink :dry

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have no time for anyone who uses brain dumps to pass certs, period.

Who cares if they need to keep their C.V up to date, they might as well put a degree on it they don’t have.

The fact is if they are great IT professionals then taking certs should be a walk in the park for them. Just learn the ‘Microsoft’ way and take the exams.

I know a few people who have brain dumped their way to an MCSE and clearly they are not at that level.

Finally why should other people get an unfair advantage in comparison to others who study and put the time in to pass the exams? :x

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Totally agree sparky but the question I was asking was how these people know that what they are buying is 100% proof that those Q & A come up in the exam?:blink

12. Sparky

Good question, I guess there are no guarantees.

The dump material the guy I know used for the MCSE was the real deal, I had a look at the 70-290 answers (don’t worry, I had already passed the exam!) and there was a detailed explanation of all the sims and what you need to do to answer correctly. There was also loads of the multiple choice type questions. The sims were *exactly* the same as what I had done in the exam a few weeks earlier. :x

This stuff wasn’t .pdf based but had a web interface and a test engine. Also there was a few viruses thrown in for good measure, nice! :biggrin

Where did he get it? A boot camp....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's quite right, but it's not what I'm saying.

If you are a novice, then no, a BD will not get you a cert.
    If however you are a pro and just want to get through an exam quickly, then yes, it may help you.

I haven't used a braindump (that I know of) so I can't really say if they work or not. I'm just saying that I know people who use them, and they are people who know more than I do...

14. Sparky

Surely that depends on the “quality” of the BD?

When I’m using the MearsureUp software and a question comes up that I have already have done then it’s easy. I can select the correct answer without reading the full answer as I can remember what the answer was the last time I did the question.

Surely the same principle applies for the use of BDs? :blink

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes it does and that is why it is cheating!

More importantly the people who use braindumps have totally devalued my MCSE. Thank you very much :x

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Nice to know someone listens to me!

@Johnny, are you going to mention those new-fangled USB batteries in every thread from now on?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Dont encourage him, he is after all, very proud of those babies :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've brought them in to work to show everyone!

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What batteries?
    Oh, you mean my rechargeable USB Cells which are normal AA batteries which can be recharged via a USB port and hence require no charger?

No, I meant my other ones...

20. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

It can. Unfortunately I know a guy who braindumped his way to MCSE and still has trouble creating a user account, setting up an IP address, etc. Yes, it's an extreme example but it happens.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M