Boss being awkward about me leaving

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Bambino1506, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Knew this would happen guys

Current employer is so short staffed that they have kicked up a right fuss about me giving my notice in:

Gave my notice in on the 17th, boss came over yesterday and said we are so short he is going to have to insist I work a calender months notice as per my contract, I said ok sure I will do that, he then said he will have to discuss whether they can let me leave that early as we are so short.

My contract states I need to give 1 months notice, was just worried that this will effect my references etc

think they are so desperate they are trying to bully me into staying longer.

Think I am going to stick my guns, any advice ?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It definitely states 1 months notice and no other stuff about it being extended if the need arises?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Bambino1506

Btw boss was saying I should have "agreed a leave date with them before agreeing a start date with my new employer", is this the norm ? I thought aslong as I worked the notice period in my contract it was upto me when I left.

Thanks guys.

4. Bambino1506

Yep, no mention of anything else mate.

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Tell him cobblers, you don't have a crystal ball to predict that. As long as you work your notice. Why has he waited 2 days before deciding that they're short staffed? Why didn't he say when you handed it in that he is short staffed and would you mind in working a longer notice period?

6. Bambino1506

Just phoned HR and they confirmed I am on 1 month notice period in my contract and no clauses etc.

Yeah he didn't ask if I could work longer, he said he will have to discuss if they can let me go after a months notice since they so short. I did know they were short staffed but what can I do, the place I'm moving 2 is short staffed 2 lol.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

He's actually full of crap
    you give him one months notice, and you walk out, if he gives you anything but a reference that presents you in the correct light, that being the one your employment reflects you hammer him for it

I once worked a place and the silly IT director (former developer who couldn't develop, so became a manager) had decided to put IT staff on six months probation so he could get rid of them with little hassle for a longer period of time

it backfired when after four months I decided the company was full of crap and went somewhere else, he was going to HR trying to find a way to keep me longer than a week, my boss had to laugh at him and said 'well you changed the probation from three to six months, this time it just bit you in the ass'; lol
    my actual boss was very supportive of my decision to leave and understood the reasons fully (lies in interview pertaining to work to be carried out, expectations etc)

Remember, you first and foremost work for yourself, the company comes second, always. it should be a close second, and your own direction should be similar to that of the company who employs you, but at the end of the day you must look after number one first.

congrats on the new find mate :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Just leave after your notice period as of your letter of resignation. The worst that can come of it is that your current employer will refuse to give you a reference now or in the future. In England it is illegal to give a bad reference.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Three words of advice..

Don't burn bridges :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As long as he works his notice period, then there won't be any burned bridges only an arsey managers nose put of joint? :D

11. Bambino1506

I am trying my best Blue but he seems to think he's making me redundant or something, "we'll discuss if we can let you go".

My priority has to be with my new company.

I'll keep my head down and work my notice period, but I'm not being bullied into staying longer.

BTW the colleagues I'm using as references are not involved in this, have put them and HR down as references.

Thanks for the thoughts.

12. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Nobody has to "Discuss" whether to let you go AFTER your 1 month. After the 1 month, you're literally OUT of their hands!

You are providing a service to your employer and he pays you for it. When you decide to discontinue that service and follow the right procedures in doing so, no one can run you any bull talk in "discussing" whether or not to really let you go!

You're the boss here, they're just clients paying you for a service. You decide who you wanna fire by giving notice. And you stand on your word. Don't compromise. They won't do it for you and you shouldn't either. 1 month's notice says it all, after that it's bye-bye. No discussions. End of story. Keep us posted and maintain your decision.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

nd you have every right to say to him I am leaving at the end of the month and thats it

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Bambino1506

Thanks for reinforcing what I believed guys , Will keep you posted :thumbleft :super

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You do hear a lot of nonsense about this sort of thing.

The worst thing he can do if you don't work your notice is to not pay you for it.

I've even heard managers say 'If you hand in your notice, I won't accept it' - what the hell is all that about?

I've never insisted that people work their notice because from the moment they have that offer letter you know that their commitment goes right out the window. The chances are that their work is going to suffer and they start phoning in sick.

Just go. Your old job is history, your new job is your future.
    Do it politely and professionally and they can't stop you. Neither will it burn bridges. The guy telling you that you can't would do the same himself.

As long as you don't give him a punch in the bracket and storm out...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You gave the notice you were contracted to give: 1 month. If they want you longer than that, that's unfortunate for them. You are correct that your responsibility is with your new company.

If the place you're leaving is not unbearable, you can offer your services on an on-call basis, perhaps after hours or weekends, at a high hourly rate. That's what I did with my previous employer - I left on good terms. They continue to use me, and I charge them a discounted rate of $80/hr.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Bambino1506

Thanks again guys

I have just received "confirmation" that I am allowed to leave after my months notice lol....think it was a case of him trying to act as though it was upto him, oh well I just let them get on with it.

The thing that annoys me most is that when people like myself work hard for the company and become a key team member they then throw it back in my face like this......and reward people doing a crappy job by letting them do what they want.

Oh well....head down and work my notice now.

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunatley a lot of businesses treat their employees like that, you work hard, work later than planned, even come in on your day off.

At the end of the day it doesnt mean anything to them because they see it as youre being paid by them so they own you.

You should live to work not work to live. Dont be fooled into thinking that if you do a great job and give up your life for your work that it actually means anything even if you get made IT manager as theyll drop you like a shot if someone with the same knowledge and skill comes along for cheaper.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I am sorry to read of your misfortune with this company. :( Clearly your manager is a W@nker and he should be the one to go!

If he had acted earlier and chased HR to get more staff in then the company would not be in this position, but for him to pass the blame onto you is unprofessional and I think your better off somewhere else mate.

Somewhere where you will get praised for being a hard worker and not prosecuted for it! 8)

Good Luck!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like your boss has taken the news badly. You have honoured the contract of employment so no need to stress.

Also if he starts to really annoy you just calmly say “If it’s easier I will just leave now and not work my notice period if that’s ok?” If you guys are short staffed then that should keep him quiet! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs