Boson Netsim Telnet Trouble Not Vista

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Distant_Horizon, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Distant_Horizon

Distant_Horizon Bit Poster

Anyone ever have trouble with Boson's Netsim being unable to telnet? I am not using Vista, so Microsoft's telnet is installed (I actually use it now and then). Boson NetSim for CCNA v7.07 (Demo)

When I try to setup telnet with Boson's Telnet Setup Wizard, I see a black box pop up saying "connecting to 127.0.0.1....", then it says something but the window disappears too quickly to tell what it says.

I have 2 computers with basic WinXP installs, Windows Firewall only; same results with both. I have added the telnet program, port 23, and Boson Netsim to the allowed programs/ports list in Windows Firewall.

I'd planned to purchase the full version from Boson, but I really hate to if their tech support tells me something along the lines of "reinstall windows", or "not our problem". I'd think that since I've got this problem with both of my machines, it'd be listed on their FAQ, but no dice.

Thanks for any help,
    -Cole

Certifications: A+ (IT Tech)
    WIP: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No I havent, but why not wait until BosonMichael comes on-line since he works for Boson he may be able to help.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Suggestion - try opening the cmd window and telnetting to that address. This should stop the automatic closing of the window.

I don't know the Boson software at all, and they may have some script that mean that this idea won't work. But it is something I'd try at least.

Alternatively - download Putty and use that. You can set Putty to not close automaticaly.

Edit: BTW - Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Distant_Horizon

Thanks for the suggestions.

Starting a cmd window, or starting the actual telnet program is no help - the Boson software still starts its own session, which dies in the manner described above.
    Figured out that the windows is displaying "Escape Character is 'Ctrl+]'" before it disappears, which is the second of three text lines displayed in the command window when a telnet session is started manually. This is the normal display:
    (
    Welcome To Microsoft Telnet Client

Escape Character is 'Ctrl-]'

Microsoft Telnet>
    )

Boson's site says they only support the Windows telnet client. Changing the default client (via Boson's menus) to another client (in this case PuTTY) results in "PuTTY fatal error" Network error: Connection Refused. So it looks like Boson is trying to telnet to my loopback addy, but the connection is being refused by something.

The Boson Telnet Setup Wizard also says under troubleshooting "If you cannot get the program to work click Here to enable the Classic View of the Boson NetSim. This will run the program in a Window inside Window environment."

I am able to click there, but nothing visibly changes.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm not on the NetSim team, but perhaps I can assist. Have you tried telnetting to the client straight from the command line, such as telnet 192.168.1.1?

When you get the "blank screen", do you try hitting return a couple of times, like you do for a real router?

Have you tried disabling Windows Firewall temporarily to see if that fixes the problem?

I would highly recommend logging into your Boson.com account (create one if you don't already have one) and opening up a trouble ticket. If you do not get fast assistance, let me know and I'll push some buttons on this end. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Distant_Horizon

When the window pops up, it's gone in like .5 second. No time to hit return. According to the setup routine, it's supposed to pop up and stay up, displaying "congratulations, setup worked" or something to that effect.

I can't telnet to myself; connect is failed whether I use a loopback or my IP. Turning Windows Firewall off sounded like a really good idea (maybe that's why I didn't think of it lol), but it didn't fix the problem either.

Was filling out a trouble ticket when you replied; it hadn't occurred to me until a little while ago that they'd answer it unless I'd already paid for the simulator.

Thanks BosonMichael, I'll let you know if I get a response.

7. BosonMichael

Then I don't guess I'm fully understanding your problem, then.

Can you do the following:
    - Click Start, Run
    - Type cmd
    - Type telnet 192.168.1.1 (or whatever IP address you're trying to reach)
    This box will not disappear after .5 seconds.

If you just type telnet 192.168.1.1 in the cmd box, it's gonna disappear. That's not a Boson thing... that's how Windows Run box works... when the program is done, the window disappears. Typing cmd to open a command prompt window will prevent that from happening.

They might not answer it... but I wouldn't think that they'd want a potential customer to get away because they didn't answer you. Besides, you've got me in your back pocket in case you need me to give them a gentle nudge. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Distant_Horizon

The box/command prompt/whatever you want to call it only disappears when NetSim is trying to do its telnet setup. If I bring up a command prompt, and then telnet from it to 192.168.1.100 (this machine's IP), or to 127.0.0.1 (loopback), I get "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed."
    *shrugs*

Hopefully they'll answer my ticket in a couple of days!

9. BosonMichael

Let me know if they don't. :) Will be glad to assist.

10. Distant_Horizon

Sorry it's been a week; primary computer finally gave up the ghost and I had to build a new one, plus been outta town a few days.

I managed to get the Boson software to work on my old laptop. I messed around with some of the more detailed settings in Windows Firewall and eventually got the Boson software working, but from looking at the log files I had Windows Firewall create, I think it had something to do with being connected to my Linksys router connection to the internet. Even when I was telnetting to my local address, my destination address was being translated by the router.

Unfortunately, I played with settings enough that I'm not sure just what I did to make this work, but at least it does.

Boson did respond to my trouble ticket, but by then I'd gotten it working. Thank you again to everyone for your help!

11. BosonMichael

Great! Please let me know if you need any further assistance. :)

12. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

Hay guys am kinda new in the world of networking .i love networking but just know a few things about it. Although i have been reading articles and publications on computer networking, and as such i have a little idea about it.i just got a boson netsim and i have been trying to do something useful with it, but just getting the whole thing wrong.
    Pls can someone give me a guide on how to use the netsim , am crying for help !!!
    I wanna be as good as u guys.

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not start studying compTIA network + to give you the basics.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Hi
    Maybe start a new thread. This ones been dead a while

Contact Boson support. Dont really understand what you need as you dont really say. Maybe some more detail?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  15. BosonMichael

Have you tried going through the labs?

16. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

i can only load lab, but cannot view lab.i dont know why.

17. BosonMichael

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Have you contacted our support department? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

18. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

what i mean is that when i click on any of the lab navigation i start getting an error message.
    saying type mismatch. and also another message box saying

the following Tabs were not loaded:

scenario lab
    stand alone lab

Error :duplicate tab name not allowed

19. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I have not personally seen the issue that you're reporting, so I'm not sure what's causing the issue. I recommend that you open a support ticket: http://boson.com/support/. That way our support team can either help you get the problem resolved or report it to our programming team so that they can address the problem, if needed.