Borked IE

Discussion in 'Software' started by JonnyMX, Jan 5, 2006.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm having real trouble with a machine.
    I did an XP install and everything was fine, it all worked.
    Then I did a Windows update and put all the security updates on and now IE is totally screwed.
    It opens fine, and you can follow hyperlinks.
    But try and select a site from favorites or type it in the address bar and the whole thing hangs, you have to close it from task manager.

I first thought some kind of infection, so I ran anti-spyware and three different anti-pest applications which cleaned a few things off.

No help.

Re-installed IE etc etc, de-fragged hard disk, did just about everything other than format the hard disk and try again.

I put Firefox on, and that works fine but won't display Outlook Web access properly, which is what they want it for.

Any suggestions? It's driving me nuts.

(On a slightly different note, if anyone has any solutions for Aurora or nail.exe infections, please send them to me on a postcard...)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you cleaned a few things up then I suspect you still have a BHO or similar on there - hence the probs.

I'd suggest going here: http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
    and following it carefully. If you still have probs after that then post a Hijackthis log at castlecops and someone will assist.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Roll your machine back to a system restore from before you installed the updates.

I would then have a look through and see if any of them could be the cause. Read the KB pages on the updates.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you should start again mate. IE is so intrinsically linked into the OS that it is likely there are other issues which are not apparent at the moment. For some reason it sounds to me like the install and update process backfired somewhere along the way.

Did you do a clean install with FDISK/format or just install over the top of the existing install?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i have no idea about your internet explorer problem. it could be anything.
    but i do want to mention something about firefox. firefox should display owa properly, but it only displays owa basic. owa premium requires internet explorer. if you do want to use owa premium in firefox, you can use the ie tab extention (http://ietab.mozdev.org/), with which you can use the internet explorer engine inside a firefox tab. of course, it still uses your borked internet explorer, but since you said that your internet explorer is only partly corrupt, you might give this extention a try.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thanks everyone.

Eyeball - I've rolled it back to the point of the new XP install last week and it's still nackered.

Bluerinse - The XP install was an upgrade.

d-factor - thanks for the tip. Firefox went and became the default browser even though I told it not to (?). Then when I tried to open IE and follow a link to test it, up popped Firefox. IE refused to let me set it back as the default browser so I uninstalled Firefox. Then everytime I tried to use IE to visit a URL, I got the 'application not found' error. So I had to repair IE again with the .inf file. Pain.

I'll try Harry's suggestion then give up.

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I had this problem once or twice on an old Win ME machine, many a moon ago. I'll rack my brains to see if I can remember how I fixed it. I think in those good old days, you could uninstall IE and download it again from MS.com.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I followed Harry's instructions and it did clean some stuff of, but didn't fix it. Cracking link though!

I'm beginning to suspect that it's an IE7 issue.
    I had IE7 on the machine before, then I installed a new version of XP, which obviously put IE6 back on.

Every now and then, I get the error 'iexplore.exe - Entry Point Not Found. The procedure entry point InetGetSecurityInfoByURLW could not be located in the dynamic link library WININET.dll'.

I've googled this, and the closest I can come is a faulty removal of IE7 which is apparently a bit of a pig to remove.

I'm working on a repair of XP at the moment.

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yay fixed it.

Booted from the Windows CD and did a repair install.
    Seems fine now...

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Glad you got it fixed. I was going to suggest a try with SFC as a less hefty alternative. :dry

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tried that...
    But thanks for your help!

:alc

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done Jonny. Just as I was about to suggest you try throwing stones at it !!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity