BOOTING problem with CISCO 3640 Router

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by mrbari, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

Hi,
    I have got a booting problem with CISCO 3640 Router. No problem with IOS, a healthy IOS is there on to the router. But every time I have to break the boot sequence and try with this following command

rommon 1 > dir flash:
    File size Checksum File name
    10629452 bytes (0xa2314c) 0x7b15 c3640-is-mz.121-5.T9.bin
    rommon 2 > boot

************* It boots properly***************

But whenever I reload my router and if I don’t use the ''CTRL + BREAK'' to break the boot sequence, it keeps giving me the following error message.....it’s like a loop..... Keeps coming in....

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20) AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    oC3600 processor with 65536 Kbytes of main memory
    Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

open: file "n" not found
    open(): Open Error = -1
    loadprog: error - on file open
    boot: cannot load "flash:n":

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    oC3600 processor with 65536 Kbytes of main memory
    Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

open: file "n" not found
    open(): Open Error = -1
    loadprog: error - on file open
    boot: cannot load "flash:n":

I think it’s trying to find a path to flash from where it should boot. But unfortunately it doesn’t have the proper path to find the flash.

What you think? Am I right?
    Could you please help me to resolve this weird problem?
    Please suggest me whatever you think, I will try that. Please help me out.

Thanks

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

When it does boot (im assuming you mean it gets into the IOS so you can enter commands), do a show version, what is the config-register set to?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

Configuration register is 0x2142

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  5. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

Thanks. But I have tried with that registry. No JOY. Have you got anyother clue??

6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

8. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

Hi kevicho,
    I have tried all of those. But those are basically for installing or upgrading IOS. But the mejor problem what I think is the source of my flash.

Thank you very much for your effort and again if you can come accross any clue please keep posting that,

9. Labrat636

Labrat636 New Member

set
    BOOT=flash:c3640-is-mz.121-5.T9.bin

This will set the boot variable to boot the image on your flash. Just type "set" at the rommon> and all environmental variables will be displayed. It probably has this entry now: BOOT=n or BOOT=flash:n

10. Labrat636

Labrat636 New Member

If you upgrade your IOS - you will need to change the BOOT= variable again to reflect the new IOS.

11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Mr bari, did this work? I Would be interested to find out, sounds like it would work

12. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

I would really like to appreciate your support. THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everybody whoever had tried to support me.

You khow actually what was the problem. On the router, flash was pointing to MONRAC=BOOT= flash: name of the .bin file. So whenever I was trying to point to BOOT= flash: name of the .bin file, it was not working. As soon as I have changed it to MONRAC=BOOT, it works. Thanks a lot for your support.

Thanks everybody, specially kevicho

13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

No need to thank me, i thoughtr this was a good learning experience, but is Monrac the name of your router?

What commands did you use to change this (for reference), was this is rommon mode or the IOS ?

or was it something along the lines of
    #en
    #conf t
    #boot = flash

14. mrbari

mrbari Bit Poster

From the

rommon 1> set
    .... You will see some information along with BOOT=flash name .bin [it should be the usual case]

But from my site it was MONRAC=BOOT=flash:,n

So what I had to do, change it to do

rommon 1> MONRAC=BOOT= flash: name of the flash (.bin file)
    rommon 2> boot

Once it boots properly. I put this command

router(config)#no boot system flash
    router(config)#exit
    router#wr
    router# reload

Thats how it works.

Have a good day.

15. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Thankyou, that will come in handy in the future i a m sure :)