boot up software

Discussion in 'A+' started by fastrhino, Dec 3, 2005.

1. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

can anyone recomended software that will allow me to be prompted on start-up which OS or hard drive to boot up from?

does the hard drive reqiuire partitions to allow this to happen?

mick

WIP: A+
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

well, if you install multiple MS products, typically they manage that all by themselves. (once you install in the correct order) and yes, multiple partitions is often a good idea. And... for pitys sakes, don't go dynamic...

For other OSs like linux, they usually have a boot loader like lilo that does the trick..

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

clyde when you say the correct order i assume in order of age. starting with windows 98 on

i have already installed xp pro on my recentl new build project, should i re-format and partion this drive and use my second drive fro back-up perposes..

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

yup, older first, then newer is the general rule. Do a google, there's loads of info. You can even mix linux and MS if needed. (Install linux last)

Dunno, depends on what you want to achieve..

5. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

i have been was advised to install a few different OS on my system so i can do the labs for the a+ certification, so partioning the drive will keep all the different OS software in diferent areas on the drive.

I want learn how to set up a system using more than one OS

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Rhino,

As already said it depends on what you want out of it.
    If you want to back up your entire computer or selected files then i would recommend Ghost and use another internal drive. That way, should your main drive go toes up you have only lost (hopefully nothing) as much as your recent back-up.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

i have installed 2 drives the primary is a seagate barracuda 160gig and a second which is 80gig,

what i would prefer is to have all the OS software installed on my primary drive, and my second drive as a back up, using a raid or backup software.

i have only just reached the hard drive section of mike meyers so i am still learning the main points, i need pointing in the right direction so i can keep it simple, stupid,,,,for me to learn the processes and issues involved

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Have a Google for boot.ini - a system file built into Windows (NT/2000/XP and beyond, I believe)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

forget raid, it's not for doing backups. Backup s/w would do the trick, but I'm with Boyce - use imaging s/w like ghost.