Boot Sector Virus

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by hubby, May 11, 2006.

1. hubby

hubby Banned

Hi everybody

I have just tried to format and install Win 98 on a machine. After formatting I get the error message:

Boot sector VIRUS

Continue Y/N?

There is definetly no virus on the O/S disk, it as a prefabricated one.

Is it safe to continue?

Many Thanks

WIP: A+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

you have to format the master boot record - that will get rid of the virus.

format/mbr

then do the installation...

3. hubby

hubby Banned

But I can't use the format command. The harddisk has been fdisk'd, there is no o/s on it. My win98 boot cd doesn't have the format command, only fdisk. The harddrive has been formatted as part of the installation of Win 98. Does that make sense?

EDIT: I have found a bootfloppy, but when I try format/mbr it says:

/mbr invalid parameter.

4. Mr.Cheeks

format /mbr *sorry there should be a space between the t and the switch /

you can use any bootdisk, just make sure it has the format command inside, if you have not got one try here...

down to your hdd, put a floppy in, and run the exe... just verify the contents, details here...

btw: there is a format on the win98 cd, i think it is in a subfolder called support, tools...

also, if you have the format command, you dont need to do the above other that format /mbr

5. hubby

hubby Banned

It's still saying that /mbr is an invalid switch. Both with and without the space. Any ideas?

How can a disk have a virus after the partition has been deleted and the disk formatted? I thought formatting a disk scrapped everything?

6. Mr.Cheeks

this is what i think happens; when you format the drive, you are only clearing the contents, rewritten the 0+1s, but still able to retrieve the data, and format does not touch the mbr, but if you FDISK your drive, delete the partition and create a new partition, that will clear the virus for def as you will be creating a new FAT for the drive...

as you have nothing on your machine, i think it may be better to use FDISK and then format c:/q or might be c: /q then do the installation...

1 question: why 98? what spec have you got and what will you be using it for?

7. hubby

hubby Banned

I tried using fdisk first, then formatting, still says Boot Virus. Silly question, but does BIOS have Boot Virus protection? By installing an OS, I'm writing to the bbot partition, perhaps bios sees that as a virus? Or am I talking rubbish there?

As to why Windows 98, Because it's the best O/S Microsoft has ever produced... :D

...or not.

The plan is to install Windows 2000 over the top, but my Win 2K disk doesn't contain fdisk, hence Win 98 first.

While we're talking specs, it's a Pentium 2 350mhz, with 128mb Ram and a 2.5Gb Harddrive. The user just wants to use it for typing, internet etc. But they want it as upto date but also as quick as possible. Without spending any money. So with those specs, would you recommend Windows 98, ME or 2K? They want Windows XP on it but.....

8. Mr.Cheeks

Some BIOS has an option to either enable/disable virus protection, but i think the protection is for the BIOS... im not sure...

I think NT and 2K is the best os MS has made...

2k is bootable so you dont need to install 98 - all i do is what i posted before, fdisk->format->format /mbr -> and then install 2k...

i'd personally go with 2k, ME i just never liked, 98 is good, but if you can run 2k, then thats what i will do, and thats my opinion...

are you fdisking from a 98 startup flop? ...and are you sure there is no boot sector virus on that flop?

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Are you sure this isn't the BIOS 'virus detection' system? All that does is monitor for writes to the first sector - which must be done for fdisk and format to work!

Check in the BIOS and switch off if on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. hbroomhall

<Cough> Er - no.

The /mbr switch belongs to fdisk, not format.

Harry.

11. hbroomhall

If this is a valid Win2K CD then it *does* contain fdisk and format - or their equivalents. Just boot from the CD.

Harry.

12. hbroomhall

Er - waste of time, unless you are trying to do something unusual. Win2K has all the tools you need during the installation - you don't need to mess with Win9x tools. And in some cases you *shouldn't* use Win9x tools.

Harry.

13. Mr.Cheeks

blimey - i really got to start installing os's again! :oops:

Harry - you always come to my rescue! cheers...

edit: How come no one else corrected me???

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Letting you learn the hard way! :twisted:

15. Mr.Cheeks

at least im trying :biggrin ...

16. hbroomhall

Thats what they used to write on my report at school...

"Harry is trying"

"very"

Harry.

17. hbroomhall

Thinking further about the original question...

If you want to install Win2K then make sure the installation CD includes SP4. Otherwise it will be a big download, which will have to be done from a different machine!

And you should then get all the patches (and there have been lots) and apply them.

Harry.

18. Mr.Cheeks

I never went school... i was having extended social education :biggrin now i regret it :( but did enjoy it :)

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great post. Never worry about asking any questions on CF. We all help one another. I remember when i was studying for A+ OS-the whole forum was full of my posts.... :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. hbroomhall

With that speed processor and that size disk I'd suggest Win98SE as the best fit for speed. But it isn't 'up to date' at all. WinXP will be very difficult on such a small drive, and it would be slow. I saw the phrase "Hangliding in marmarlade" the other day which would describe it nicely.

Harry.