Books

Discussion in 'A+' started by metrock 66, Jun 3, 2008.

1. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Well i have just taken reciept of the books i ordered from amazon- mike meyers a+ 6th ed and pc tech street smarts and i am gobsmacked by the size of the mike meyers book :blink. And i must say pc tech looks very informative and i am really looking forward to getting my head into these.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  2. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I've just ordered mine from Amazon too. Meyers was only £17 odd which is pretty good considering the RRP.

Here's hoping it doesn't take me forever to get through it!

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes it is a big book but worth the read.

Do not make the mistake of breaking it into sections and only reading certain parts read the whole thing, Tripwire45s book is invaluable when it comes to setting scenarios for yourself and doing exercises.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Yeah thats what i've just read go all the way through seems a very very good book already picked up something new learning about different types of connectors.......very pleased

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  5. greenbrucelee

try and set yourself a limit on how much you read or you'll mash your head like I did although I got over it.

6. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Yes is well worth the read right through as its all relevant, if its stuff you already know then its still good to refresh on it because the book compounds on what it teaches you as it goes along. im over half way through and have so far only skimmed about 2 pages because it was really basic like moving the mouse or something.
    Very good book to read, interesting and informative.

WIP: A+
  7. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Just pace yourself... I tried for about a chapter per sitting, or half a chapter on the bigger ones.

I always find it easier that way, because I have an IT job, I can ask people at work the next day... like a clarification kind of talk the next day, helps things sink in if you have someone to talk to about it.

But if you dont have an IT job, use the forum! What were here for ;)

Certifications: A+, N+
  8. nsctcomp03

nsctcomp03 New Member

Mike Meyers has a company called Total Seminars. They have a software called Total Tester that has hundreds of practice questions that I found to be extremely helpful for the exam. They are not exactly like the questions on the exam, but they get you in the right mindset for the type of questions asked and also have a time period to simulate the testing experience. I would really recommend this software.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  9. greenbrucelee

you also get a CD with the meyers book with some total seminar questions on it and a tutorial and free software like easy cleaner which is good for cleaning up the registry.

10. TruthOrDare

TruthOrDare Bit Poster

The Mike Meyers book is very thorough, but don't get bogged down by all the facts and figures.

Especially on chapter 3, microprocessors. While you will need to remember the details of all the processors by the end, you will find it easier to memorise them bit by bit as you go along, rather than in one huge lump.

WIP: A+