Books for Security+ 2008

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Gorm, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Gorm

Gorm New Member

Hello.

New user here, but i have read the forum from time to time. Good site with lots of useful information and helpful people.

I have problems deciding on something and i hope you guys can help.
    After having completed my A+, and Network+ exams, I'm now planning on taking the Security + cert in the near future.
    For that i have done some research regarding study materials and have found the following books.

CompTIA Security+: Sy0-201: Deluxe Study Guide
    [​IMG]

CompTIA Security+: Exam SYO 201, Study Guide and Prep Kit
    [​IMG]

CompTIA Security+ 2008 In Depth
    [​IMG]

I clearly want the best written book on the subject, so how do these books compare and which one do you guys reccomend and why?

Any kind of input will be highly appreciated :)

Certifications: MCSA, MCTS, CompTIA A+, Network+, CSMP
    WIP: CompTIA Security+, CISCO CCNA
  2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Welcome to the forum Gorm,

I'm just looking at study books for this exam too. I'll probably get the Sybex book at this point as they have been good in the past for me.

Has anybody taken this exam recently? What study materials would you recommend?

EDIT: Okay, I've just ordered my books and decided not to do for the Sybex book. I ordered, CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Second Edition, and Security Administrator Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA Security+ Skills.

Which I think should more than cover it, including watching a few CBT videos.

Mercury

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, the Sybex book is pretty bad... and I wrote a Sybex book. Please see my recommendations in this thread.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Gorm

Gorm New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess that this means you're also giving your personal seal of approval to the new SYO 201 / 2008 version of
    CompTIA Security+: Study Guide and Prep Kit by Ido Dubrawsky (Syngress)
    :)

Certifications: MCSA, MCTS, CompTIA A+, Network+, CSMP
    WIP: CompTIA Security+, CISCO CCNA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, I haven't used the new version, but the one I used two versions ago was great.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!