Books for MCSA?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Petey84, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Petey84

Petey84 New Member

Hi all,

I am studying for the following exams:

70-290
    70-291
    70-270
    70-431

Whats the best books to study from for these exams?

Sybex or Microsoft press books or are there better ones?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on the exam. I like both.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

I have found it so much better to have more than one book source, the MS Press books are a must (imho) for the MCSA/E exams and the Sybex books are certainly a great companion to those. To really complete the set the Exam Cram books are very useful too.

For video training you can't go far wrong with the CBT Nuggets series :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I used the M$ press books for the 70 290, 70 270,and 70 291.

Coupled with the internet and a virtual server, client setup that was more than enough.

Remember, loads of blogs, website forums about server 2003 and xp out there. Don't spend more money than you have to on books if you have the net.

Don't forget about technet! I have always fond this a massive help.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep two books for every exam, unless you are very farmiliar and comfortable with what the exam is based on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

I used the mike myers books they have everything you need to know to pass the exams. But I also brought the exam cram books and used cbt nuggets. The exam cram books are somewhat basic but they are a good first read so that you can get to grips with the concepts. Also they have an exam cram sheet which is good to read before you go into the exam.

The cbt nuggets are good because they are video and I like to learn by seeing and doing.

As you are already 2nd line you will have had lots of hands on desktop support which will branch out into the network side so i'm sure you will be fine

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003